Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hi, new member from Plymouth UK 12 years 8 months ago #2744

i have an original Grasshopper which has been sat in the attic for many years. during a tidy up the other day i thought i would bring it back to life.
it was a bit battered and bruised so the wallet came out and here is what i have spent on so far........
new body shell-old one was badly damaged
new steering arms and linkages- ball joint snapped off
new speed controller-old one badly corroded and wires kinked.

it has a 480HS motor and i plan to use a 7,2v 1800mah stick battery,borrowed from my RC boat.
hopefully it will be back up and running again soon.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Hi, new member from Plymouth UK 12 years 8 months ago #2746

Hi and welcome! :)

Love the Grasshoppper - the first car I owned myself...
Hope you'll get the car running soon again! :cheer:

Re: Hi, new member from Plymouth UK 12 years 8 months ago #2747

Welcome on board, agemax - a Grasshopper was my first RC too :)

I'm intrigued by the 480 motor - I guess it's an increase in performance over the stock 380, without being as fast as a 540 (the usual upgrade - but too much without suspension mods - I flipped mine going in a straight line :blink: ).

If you haven't already got ball bearings in it, they are a useful mod (less wear, longer battery life, and a tiny bit more speed) - they are also an awful lot cheaper than they used to be - you need nine "1150" size and one "850" - a full set on eBay will be around

Re: Hi, new member from Plymouth UK 12 years 8 months ago #2749

Hey agemax
Welcome here!!!
The gratification in resurrecting one of your old broken cars after years of been out of sight and mind is absolutely huge.
Enjoy the project and post some photos.
Marius

Re: Hi, new member from Plymouth UK 12 years 8 months ago #2750

thanks for the welcome guys. i will get some pics up later tonight.
the motor is not a tamiya motor, but it fits right in and is a big difference in power not not too silly, its still drivable.
the speed controller i got from ebay but it is from a hornet. it fits and works but it has a little red plug on it with tiny black and red wires. i cant figure out where it goes?
i am wondering if it is possible to remove the 4 x AA battery pack in the rear which i think supplies the reciever unit as i need to remount the receiver behind the speed controller (as stated in the tamiya manual), to make fitting the battery easier. but i cant seem to get it to fit

Re: Hi, new member from Plymouth UK 12 years 8 months ago #2786

Here the thread was split into a technical topic.

The replies to the question above are in this topic :

grasshopper, electrical woes

Hope that doesn't keep anyone from welcoming each other... ;)

Attachments:

Last edit: by Edou.
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds