Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Whatever happened to Retro Racing? 11 years 8 months ago #11526

I've been looking what I could do in the way of a body for my TA-01 chassis, so thought of Retro Racing, purveyors of 60's/70's/80's European 1:10 scale lexan bodies...

I see Modelsport has a sharknose BMW & the Kadett B, but the range is much bigger than that, so I thought I'd go straight to the source - www.retroracing.com/ - but there's a :not found" message :cry:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Whatever happened to Retro Racing? 11 years 8 months ago #11611

I think they went a few months ago. I was looking seriously at getting a Mk1 Cortina bodyshell but read too many reports of the shells being fragile. Before I decided they seemed to be out of stock everywhere and it looked like the company was winding down.

Re: Whatever happened to Retro Racing? 11 years 8 months ago #11613

... too many reports of the shells being fragile...

IIRC the "offical" explanation was that the material wasn't lexan & it should onl;y have water based polycarbonate type paints used on it, but yes, I'd see photos of bodies that had just shattered in collisions :blink:

Re: Whatever happened to Retro Racing? 11 years 8 months ago #11653

Sounds to me like they were acrylic then. If so, I bet the body explosions were epic!
I can't imagine anyone being dumb enough to use a clear material other than polycarbonate for toy car shells - most clear plastics are REALLY brittle, (uPVC, acrylic, polystyrene) except polyethylene, & paint won't stick to that.

Maybe these shells were intended for display models only?

Re: Whatever happened to Retro Racing? 11 years 8 months ago #11658

Sounds to me like they were acrylic then. If so, I bet the body explosions were epic!
I can't imagine anyone being dumb enough to use a clear material other than polycarbonate for toy car shells - most clear plastics are REALLY brittle, (uPVC, acrylic, polystyrene) except polyethylene, & paint won't stick to that.

Maybe these shells were intended for display models only?

tamiyaclub.com/...84&id=6291
tamiyaclub.com/...47&id=6291
tamiyaclub.com/...1&id=25518

Maybe I had a lucky escape :whistle:

Re: Whatever happened to Retro Racing? 11 years 8 months ago #11661

There was someone on the Dutch forum experimenting with forming his own shells.
Although they turned out nicely, they showed a similar vulnerability because of the copolyester (Vivak) he used :

Attachments:

Re: Whatever happened to Retro Racing? 11 years 8 months ago #11666

After seeing the pics Jonny posted, I was gonna say "Actually, that doesn't look like an acrylic explosion, it's more like a polystyrene snap" - acrylic (& uPVC if it's cold enough) usually completely shatter from a shock, whereas styrene usually snaps/splits locally from being bent, shocks will show a kind of delamination (Although it's not). 2-pack resins (Like polyester) can be brittle if too much catalyst &/or accelerator are used, but normally they've got a bit of "give" before they snap. Having said that, I've never seen polyester resin set as clear as Edou's pic, unless the screen is of a different material bonded-in? Maybe it's a resin I've just not come across yet....

Re: Whatever happened to Retro Racing? 11 years 8 months ago #11667

Vivak

Re: Whatever happened to Retro Racing? 11 years 8 months ago #12166

Just spotted that they seem to be selling on eBay - link ... 38 quid seems a lot (even if it does come with wheels) for a shell that can only be used for display :huh:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.