Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Star Wars Celebration 11 years 3 months ago #17572

Hey, has anyone been to a Star Wars Celebration event? The last one (Celebration 6) was in Orlando, Florida USA last year.

The next Celebration (7) is going to be in Germany this year (June I think?).

Would be great to get some feedback... they sound like fun!

May the Force be with you! :evil: (Maul impression!)
<p>Current projects:</p>

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Porsche959Boy.

Re: Star Wars Celebration 11 years 3 months ago #17587

No ...

I'll admit to being a big fan (in the past), I was 5 when I first saw Star Wars & it shat all over anything I'd seen before (mostly Disney & Herbie), but TBH, I think the whole Star Wars thing is something I've grown out of :(

Any franchise involves a suspension of disbelief, but when I had to start ignoring a lot of things outside what I was seeing on the screen, as well as some things on it, it became impossible for me to enjoy it in the same way.

I didn't hate the new trilogy quite as much as a lot of older fans, I even saw Jar-Jar and midiclorians as a symptom of clumsy storytelling, bad dialogue & the contempt Lucas has for the expanded universe, rather than a scapegoat for all that was wrong with them.

In fact it was the things going on outside the core that were the biggest problems for me:
- retrospectivley retitling of Star Wars as "A New Hope"
- the Clone Wars cartoons
- retconning Anakin Skywalker at the end of ROTJ
- retconning the Emporer in ESB & ROTJ
- retrospectively fxing it so Greedo shooting first
... and so on.

I can't tell you exactly as what point I lost my faith, but when Lucas sold out to Disney I really didn't care.

I did use to be a pretty avid collector, but now much of my stuff has gone - anything related to the new triology (including a couple of shed loads of toys & figures), and any toys made after 1983/4 have gone, I've also started thinning out my books ...

I still have some early toys & figures packed away, but I'm questioning whether there's any point in keeping those any more.

Re: Star Wars Celebration 11 years 3 months ago #17595

Can't find the South Park episode with the "remastered" Star Wars movies...
But they had a huge impact in my youth.
Ignoring everything on the side, has kept this pretty much intact.
Much like I later did with everything that came after the intitial Matrix movie.
But watching something at a later age doesn't really compare.

Yes, big Star Wars fan. Not likely I'll go to the event though.

:side:

Star Wars Celebration 11 years 3 months ago #17604

The Family Guy trilogy was brilliant.

I agree with Jonny (looks like we're the same age too!).. it was magical seeing that Star Destroyer appear on screen for the first time chasing the rebel corvette... and of course seeing the stormtroopers and Vader truly was a sight.

Years later, the idea of capturing/reliving those memories are still exciting... but the 'extra' frivilous nonsense has pretty much ended it for me.

I also remember seeing a preview of episode 6 (NOT Jedi) at a convention back in 1994 which featured 15 mins of Lando and Chewie in the Falcon chasing Boba Fett in Slave 1 over Endor. So what ever happened to that episode?.. as Jedi was Episode 7 before the re-releases etc.

I also remember reading the 'first' story titled 'Journal of the Whills' which was completely different to Phantom Menace!

Oh dear, I could go on, but to this day I still have a shed load of questions for Mr Lucas to resolve! :blink:

Star Wars Celebration 11 years 3 months ago #17634

I loved Star Wars. Made me spit when the first lot of "remastering" happened.
Yes, I agree about seeing it for the first time on the big screen in the 70s, there's was nothing like it at the time & it's still a fantastic film now.
Sequels, prequels, remakes, they're all disasters in my book.

I don't mind the 3 new(ish) films, but only if I watch them as films in their own right, not something to do with Star Wars. There's some good stuff in there, but they're nowhere near as good as the original. The whole CGI thing worries me too, sure it looks great now, but give it 10-15 years will it look a bit "Tron"?

Reminds me, I watched Robot Jox again the other night, love it! Models & stop-frame animation rules! Sure it's a pants film, but that's what makes it great! Up there with Thunderbirds & the original Jason & the Argonauts!

Star Wars Celebration 11 years 3 months ago #17645

There's only one further question about Star Wars....

Where's Kitster? :blink:

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.