Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Modelzone in Administration 10 years 9 months ago #22882

I wonder if a good business model might be to open concessions in places like Toys R Us??
This works with clothes shops - why not hobby shops?
Would give the Dads something to look at while the kiddies are looking at Barbie etc at least...

It's a thought ... I can't sat I've spent an awful lot of time in Toys R Us, but IIRC the one thing they don't have is plastic model kits & RC cars that need building before you can use them ...

Yeah, and most of them are large buildings (plenty of space) in out of town locations with free parking. As Funk says, most hobby shop customers are older and I would bet, predominently male. I don't know about you guys, but I hate "shopping" (i.e. wandering around hundreds of different shops before returning to the first shop to actually buy the thing). I want to go to one place and find what I need with the minimum amount of hassle. If a hobby shop was out of town with easy, free parking I would be much more inclined to shop there.

There are chains of niche shops that are doing well - look at Maplin for example. I'm a regular customer at the Milton Keynes branch, despite it being a 20 minute drive amd knowing that I could probably buy stuff cheaper elsewhere. The fact is that like most Maplins, it is on a retail estate away from the town centre and I can park right outside, for free.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Modelzone in Administration 10 years 9 months ago #22883

Might sound a stupid question this.....(from a stupid person)

Martin being based in Milton Keynes .. Does the Hobby company supplier of all stuff Tamiya and other thing.

Do they not have an outlet store or something similar on site. As they do allow you to purchase parts/spares and hopup items over the phone...

Not going to help Modelzone much though..

Modelzone in Administration 10 years 9 months ago #22884

Martin being based in Milton Keynes .. Does the Hobby company supplier of all stuff Tamiya and other thing.

Do they not have an outlet store or something similar on site. As they do allow you to purchase parts/spares and hopup items over the phone...

The Hobby Company? Not heard of that - post a link and I'll check it out :)

OK - found it; www.hobbyco.net
I just gave them a call. They say that they do not normally supply to the general public. They do supply some spares by phone order, but mostly they supply through local hobby shops.

Last edit: by Martin Bell.

Modelzone in Administration 10 years 9 months ago #22885

www.hobbyco.net

You will have fun

Enjoy

Modelzone in Administration 10 years 9 months ago #22886

Hmmm, after Johnnys post i think we have plenty of model-stores here... :huh: I was thinking about...
We have here everywhere Märklin-Stores (train), Carrera-Stores (slotcar), a Toy-Shop Union called "Vedes" which are selling very good toys, models, r/c, etc... (I've often bought there models at the 80s and my manta ray!). Also you can get everywhere Revell Modells and in every second bigger town you'll find a very special shop about r/c. One 1:5 store (rc-car-online.de), my fav store (www.ttm-funktio...ellbau.de/), another 2 ones in 2 different citys away. Plenty of trainmodel stores... etc. In an area about 50kilometers, you can get everything you want. Also here are about 4 race tracks and a model-airport for huge r/c airplanes.
Wanna visit me? :)

Last edit: by funkindemup.

Modelzone in Administration 10 years 9 months ago #22900

Dude, you're really spoiled. ;)
Not that many shops around here. And I live in one of the largest cities in the country...

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.