Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Facebook woes 9 years 11 months ago #29226

Tracing old school friends was one of the things that made me consider joining mug-mag, but then I remembered that there's a lot of weirdos out there who get a kick out of making stuff up about people & spreading it about (Because their own lives are so dull?) & decided that I probably didn't want to get involved in that sort of thing, there's enough of it going on at work as it is!

I do keep thinking about joining, just for the people-tracing aspect - I'm stuck out in the wilds now & don't go out much anymore. Even the village pub is shut now, so the only people I see regularly are work-peeps & my neighbour(s cat). Long gone are the days of women lining up to show me their cervix...
The topic has been locked.

Facebook woes 9 years 11 months ago #29227

All,
I moved the Facebook related topics from the "Ebay woes" thread to this "Facebook woes"-thread in the "All other topics" section.

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Facebook woes 9 years 10 months ago #29253

OFFS, Facebookisation is happening here too - when did "thanks" becomes "likes" ? :sick:

Facebook woes 9 years 10 months ago #29254

OFFS, Facebookisation is happening here too - when did "thanks" becomes "likes" ? :sick:

Wow, you're quick.. I changed it just now. :)
Rest assured, its only a change in the wording, and is not linked to Facebook in any way.

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.

Facebook woes 9 years 10 months ago #29255

Wow, you're quick.. I changed it just now. :)
Rest assured, its only a change in the wording, and is not linked to Facebook in any way.

-Lars

It's the bastardisation of the language I object to - "thank" is not the same as "like", for instance I'd "thank" someone for posting a useful answer to a question, but I could "like" a picture of a cat. Conflating the two (or relabeling the process part way through) really devalues the former :(

Is it really necessary to change it to "like"? I mean really, is a hypothetical new members knowledge of language so limited that they are not going to understanding the concept of thanking someone, only buttons they've seen before on Facebook?
Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Facebook woes 9 years 10 months ago #29256

It's the bastardisation of the language I object to - "thank" is not the same as "like", for instance I'd "thank" someone for posting a useful answer to a question, but I could "like" a picture of a cat.

For the discussion, I could...:
..."like" that someone had posted a useful answer to a question.
..."thank" someone for posting a picture of a cat.
To me, that is not "bastardisation of the language" (although I'm not native English speaking...)

Is it really necessary to change it to "like"? I mean really, is a hypothetical new members knowledge of language so limited that they are not going to understanding the concept of thanking someone, only buttons they've seen before on Facebook?

Based on the feedback I get, yes. I don't have statistics, but it seems to me that the majority of internet users are used to "linking" instead of saying "thank you".

Bottom line for me is that I feel "thank you" is more limited in it's use than "Like", but that could be just me?

-Lars

Facebook woes 9 years 10 months ago #29257

Ok I have ended this thread as it is no longer helpful to us.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.