Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Sometimes it's better not to know? 8 years 3 weeks ago #38047

Has anyone seen anything RC they sold/gave away/traded reappear for sale later on? If so, how did you feel about it?

I sold an NIB Lotus F1 kit recently & almost immediately saw it on a facebook page with the new owner saying they were very pleased with it - so as I got back what it "owed" me, I think that's a positive outcome all round.

Then there's this Wild Willy M38 LWB - I had fun building it, but when it was done I didn't really feel anything for it so moved it on - then saw some atmospheric beach shots taken by the new owner on TC. Again, despite me regretting the sale a bit, a postive outcome.

On the other hand, there's the Sand Scorcher I did for someone else. The body got sold on earlier this year - then the second owner sold it on too - and the 3rd owner as far as I can see has stripped the paint off & redone it in yellow & red :cry:
It didn't owe me anything in terms of materials or parts, but I didn't make anything on it & put a huge amount of time and effort into it, so overall I can help feeling I got (no badword filter safe equivalent exists) over there.

Serves me right for going back on my "no commission work" rule I guess :S Rather than brooding on it though, I'll use what I learned there & re-restore my Scorcher at some point to the same standard :)

Finally, what prompted this post was seeing the TL-01 based Metro 6R4 I sold some time ago up on ebay, for sale at 30GBP start + post - minus the brushless motor, ESC & radio gear, and plus some damage & dirt.

At first I was I was a bit offended that someone had thrashed it, stripped it of anything of value & was selling the broken, dirty remains - but having thought about it I really shouldn't have been. I had fun building it & giving a quick razz around the garden - and sold it when I wasn't going to get any more fun out of it. The current owner is just doing the same thing - they've obviously used it (and if you can't thrash A TL-01 chassis & a copy bodyshell, what can you thrash?) & having had their fun is now making a bit of space. Probably also at a bit of a loss.

With (it seems) everyone sharing everything online, it's a little surprising that of all the cars & parts I've moved on over the last few years, such a small percentage have re-surfaced - or could it just be that what I think of as the english speaking Tamiya "community" (TB, TC, all those facebook groups) are really just a very small portion (like 10%) of the Tamiya RC interest out there?

ps. Thinking about it, from the huge box of RC parts I thought I didn't want/need any more, a set of wheels re-appeared for sale a couple of times and as far as I know didn't sell. Then there was a Pajero MTW body that resurfaced really quickly after I'd sold it. And a Midnight Pumpkin chrome edition that sold twice more after I'd had it before disappearing. And my snot green Cheetah that re-sold for far less than I'd got for it (my BIN vs their auction) ... and my Super Hornet/Rough Rider hybrid, sold here & then re-sold on eBay ... If I'd thought of all that before I don't think it would have undermined my essential argument, maybe just upped the %age a little :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Sometimes it's better not to know? 8 years 2 weeks ago #38125

I can understand your feelings over the Scorcher, it was very well done, and us as the community will remember the effort you put in :y:
The following user(s) Liked this: waterbok

Sometimes it's better not to know? 8 years 2 weeks ago #38127

I can see how you'd be proud of build done well but I don't understand any other emotional attachment over any inantiment object. I'm aware of it especially within the motorcycle fraternity & IMHO some people take it too far. If it makes an individual feel bad, mad or sad (I'm a staff nurse in mental health) then it's something unhealthy & needs to be put into perspective. Should anything of your creation be sold you should do so with the following understanding. Once it's sold it's another persons property & they can do what ever they want with it. It's fine if you feel disappointed in what's happened to it but you allowed this to happen when you got rid of it. I used to restore old Japaneese motorcycles in my spare time when I was single only keeping if it came out exceptionally well. At times the bikes sold would resurface which left me wondering what they'd been thinking (or smoking) to change the bike in the way they had. But it would be a really boring world if we was all the same & I'd hope that who ever did it felt pride in their work. Its no different in the RC hobby & due to the nature of it. Any Tamiya vehicle is likely to be trashed if thrashed & that's a sign of someone enjoying themself. If you're prone to becoming depressed over it (don't laugh as this sort of thing can be a big contributing factor to depression) then either look for another hobby or never sell anything. If it's nothing that serious then it's fine but I just don't understand the need for this thread. As parts will be used & reused & RC vehicles can evolve as their ownership changes hands. My ten cents worth, I'll go back to not being so serious now. :woohoo:
My other car is a Tamiya - bumper sticker on my van

Sometimes it's better not to know? 8 years 2 weeks ago #38134

I can definitely understand the attachment someone gets to an RC vehicle being sold on. I believe it can be compared to the feelings as an artist (painter, musician, sculpturer, etc) would feel if their work was changed by whoever bought it.

We have several debates in Norway on this topic, one example from my home town: A theater built in concrete in the early 80's features a "built into the wall" art piece concrete artwork. The owners of the theater want to tear down the building to make room for whatever they need (and the general concensus is that the building is ugly as a bat), but the artist argue that you can't tear the building down because of the art incorporated into it. (there's feelings attached to it...)

The artist shows similar feelings as Jonny is for his RC creations.

The problem here is that whoever bought the RCs from Jonny don't agree or don't know that they are a piece or art, or don't care.

So the moral could be: If you are making art, and want it preserved, don't sell it to a basher. :laugh:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou, stingray-63

Sometimes it's better not to know? 8 years 2 weeks ago #38157

I can relate to that I have seen some of my cars on ebay usually at silly prices too. I always get the urge to throw a bid in :)

Sometimes it's better not to know? 8 years 2 weeks ago #38163

:lol: I have the solution. Keep your cars on shelves. Like un Jonny room.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.