Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Solvent long term storage: use glass for DCM & Acetone 5 years 6 months ago #52492

I tend to use a lot of solvents in my various hobbies - distilled water, Isopropanol (aka Isopropyl alchohol, IPA), Acetone for various sorts of cleaning, and Dichloromethane for bonding styrene. Plus sundry other liquid material - Triton X-100 surfactant, glycerine/glycerol for tyre treatment, hydrogen peroxide, ultrasonic cleaning solution.

These all come in emi opaque HDPE (high density PolyEthylene) bottles of various sizes, which is great for handling and transport, but acetone and particularly Dichloromethane really need to be decanted into glass bottles as they with both distort plastic bottles - and more worringly, evaporate throught them.

I use 100 and 200ml brown glass bottles with childproof caps for what I would call "handy" storage, plus empty 10ml Tamiya jars for actual use, kept out of reach when not in use. For longer term storage I use empty Peptac bottles, kept out of reach - they are 500ml brown glass with a plastic cap, so not neccessarily ideal but they are effectively free for me, apart from time spent rinsing & scraping the labels off. Evaporative losses have slowed dramatically :)

Just thought I ought to mention it :)
The following user(s) Liked this: oldwilly, Al

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Solvent long term storage: use glass for DCM & Acetone 5 years 6 months ago #52493

Thanks for the good tip Jonny. :y:
I guess it's something most of us never really consider, it least I haven't.
I get my acetone and Lacquer thinners in 4 litre metal cans but then have been dispensing them into smaller HDPE wash bottles for ease of handling never really thinking about evaporation or what it is doing to the bottles over time. I will be looking around for something in glass now...:)
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

Solvent long term storage: use glass for DCM & Acetone 5 years 5 months ago #52555

Quite helpful and like willy says, I guess not something we all consider. Mind you I wouldn’t have near that range of materials, I do part off small amounts of my thinners into glass jars for small modelling jobs and paint brush cleaning.

Two bad errors I made lately I would caution everyone on. 1 hydrogens peroxide should never be left near any sunlight in its container. I was fortunate the first time my bottle was outside and I found it partially empty. 2nd mistake was my worst, I then moved it inside my shed and I think it fell over, a week later it was empty. It has also seem to cling to some of my tools etc in there, you can smell it when handling things. NOT GOOD and will have long lasting effects. I am systematically cleaning everything but it will be a slow process from a silly mistake. Discusting stuff!

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.