Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: New ice age starting Saturday! 12 years 2 months ago #6781

Took the Superclod out ... went a bit too fast to start with, but once I slowed down a bit & compacted the snow a bit it went better - even managed to hit full power a few times & do some drifts :D

Even compacted by the Clod, it's still too deep for anything else though - ideal snow for snowballs & snowmen, but not RC cars :) / :(

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: New ice age starting Saturday! 12 years 2 months ago #6790

Took my red pumpkin - one of my favouritest cars - out on the "track" I'd made with the Clod this morning ... took about 200 attempts, but I did manage to do a complete lap of the 10 x 5 metre oval in the end - best technique seemed to be to get it rolling gently, then increase to full power & hold it there, backing off a bit when the snow started to stick to the front wheels. Didn't work in the deeper, stickier stuff though :whistle:

Attachments:

Re: New ice age starting Saturday! 12 years 2 months ago #6792

Now I'm jealous! We had far too much for toy cars - just under 250mm where it wasn't drifted, & there was no traffic on the A10 until late this afternoon! On the Orange homepage, they have a traffic-watch app where you can tap into the country's CCTV - even motorways looked horrendous last night! By the way, did you know clods float? - I used to take mine swimming in the river next door!

Re: New ice age starting Saturday! 12 years 2 months ago #6807

Now the snow's melted a bit & got a lot thinner I took the Bigpig out ....

Attachments:

Re: New ice age starting Saturday! 12 years 2 months ago #6808

... By the way, did you know clods float? - I used to take mine swimming in the river next door!

Yes, I've observed it in deep puddles ... the main problem is keeping the "Captain Pugwash" theme tune out of your head while doing it.

There are some photos on TC of a Clod (not mine) being sailed on the lake at Snetterton :D

Re: New ice age starting Saturday! 12 years 2 months ago #6829

You do have to keep an eye on their attitude though, as the tyres are prone to filling with water, & when that happens they sink....

Re: New ice age starting Saturday! 12 years 2 months ago #6913

Had another inch of icy/powdery snow over what was left of the previous fall (now 2-4 inches of ice) - so I lashed up an old digi camera to my KBF & had another play ... video is edited right down, didn't really see much point in making it longer - you can't see the "track", the wheelies, getting it on two wheels, or much of the rooster tails either. I did leave the two prangs in though :) ... and where it ground to a halt after 15 mins - the steerig servo was still working so I assume it was water in the ESC :(

edit - TB didn't seem to like the idea of uploading a video clip ... oh well, you're not really missing anything :whistle:
Attachments:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: New ice age starting Saturday! 12 years 2 months ago #6914

That are some cool pics from your cars there jonny!!! Awesome :woohoo: ! Only thing is the cleaning up of your cars after the fun :silly:
I would love to see a vid of that runs here on TB....

Cheers, Bram
Restoring Countach 58005
Restoring 58015 RR
Restoring 58098 F40
Restoring King Cab and Monsterracer
Restoring Audi Quattro rally
Restoring Mk.1 Sand Scorcher
Restoring Porsche 936

Re: New ice age starting Saturday! 12 years 2 months ago #6947

...Only thing is the cleaning up of your cars after the fun :silly: ...

"Cleaning up" ... yes, I've heard of that concept. Not something I do much of though :D

Seriously - my clean up methods are:

* Indoor dust - leave it alone or brush off
* Wet grass - wait for it to dry, then brush off
* Mud dust - wait for a wet/snowy day & then run it
* Water - shake off worst & bring indoors to dry out
* Snow - knock off worst & bring indoors to melt & dry out
* Small amount of mud - leave it alone

In fact the only times I really do anything recognisable as cleaning up is:

* Complete immersion in very liquid mud - hose off, dry out, strip/clean/replace bits that need it - suspension joints, driveshafts, bearings, etc
* Sand/salt - dry out, brush off, strip/clean/replace

:)

Re: New ice age starting Saturday! 12 years 2 months ago #6959

I find most things can be removed with a caning from the airline, but like you say, if it's gritty & wet enough to find its way into bearings & tranny components, you're best off stripping it & doing the job properly. This is why I hate nitros - EVERYTHING sticks to the oily burnt fuel kak that they get completely covered in, & it's really only solvent based cleaning stuff that'll get it off, & then you'll be faced with gritty wet everywhere & have to strip the car to clean it properly. Not what you fancy when you're hands are blistered from all the failed pull-start attempts, & all for the sake of 10 minutes fun!

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.