Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re-released Avante 9 years 4 months ago #32744

Hi All,

Ive just joined the forum as a result of being re-acquainted with my Tamiya Super Sabre which my mother purchased for me around 89. Clearing out her loft the other day and they came across it. The transmitter is lost but the car brought back some wonderful memories and no doubt if some loving care were applied to it, it could be restored. However, more to the point, I remember the car I was supposed to get after was the Avante. I remember my mother placed an order with Beatties (UK Hobby Store)and I was so excited, only to be told 2 days later they had been discontinued and no more would be available for sale. Some 25 years later, i understand that Tamiya re-released this buggy and I cant wait any longer; it was meant to be. Question is, what else do I need. Ive been so long out of the game that I just dont have a clue what transmitter to go for etc etc.Bear in mind, it wont get much running time as it will probably end up as a display piece but I would like a decent transmitter/receiver and battery. I would be most grateful for any assistance. Many thanks guys!
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re-released Avante 9 years 4 months ago #32745

Welcome.

If you buy the new Avante, you will also need radio gear (transmitter, receiver and servo - 2.4Ghz is easiest these days), a battery and a charger. Most shops offer bundles with everything you need.
For example: www.modelsport....t_id=38927 (select the "Sport combo")
You will also need some tools to build it e.g. allen keys, screwdrivers, cutters etc, but you may already have those.
Not sure if the Avante comes painted, so you may or may not need paint for the bodyshell and driver.

Are you also planning to get the Super Sabre going? Post some pics of it. :)

Re-released Avante 9 years 4 months ago #32746

Many thanks for the quick response Martin! Ive checked the link and I note the combi price. Can I ask your views on this starter pack?

www.radshaperc....rger-servo

Is this battery going to do the job of powering the avante motor and power it properly or is it a tad on the cheap side given the spec of the car itself? Moreover, should I go with a conventional stick shift transmitter or the gun type (I always wanted the Tamiya Adspec system lol) Thanks again!

As for the super sabre, I ought to have a bash at restoring it shouldnt I. It was overlooked when I was a kid but I gather theyre now incredibly difficult to find.

Re-released Avante 9 years 4 months ago #32748

That bundle would get you going, however....
It is a 27MHz radio (probably the same as you have back in the 80's), which means the frequency is set by crystals (it's an analogue system). If you are running with anyone else, you have to take care that you are not using the same frequency as them (i.e. you need different crystals -they are colour coded). They are also more susceptible to outside interference.
Modern 2.4GHz radios are digital and you just "bind" the transmitter (tx) to the receiver (rx) (much like you pair a bluetooth phone to a hands free kit) and away you go. No chance of clashing with someone else. 2.4GHz sets also have greater range and some transmitters can store details of several cars, so you can use one tx with several rx's.

Also the charger is a slow one. Note it says 300mA. The battery is 1900mAh capacity which means it will take over 6 hours to fully charge the battery (1900/300 = 6.33). Fast chargers can charge batteries in may half an hour.
The battery itself looks OK, although at the lower end of the capacity range. NiMH batteries are available up to about 4000mAh, which will run for longer, but also take longer to charge. Probably 2000-3000mAh is a good compromise. Once you get going, you will probably want to have 2 or 3 batteries so you can charge one while running with another one.
There are also Lithium Polymer (LiPo) batteries available which have higher performance, but that's a whole new kettle of fish. Probably best to avoid those as a beginner.

As to sticks or wheel - that is just personal preference. Wheel tx's seem to be easier to find these days, especially in 2.4GHz, but I prefer sticks as that is what I'm used to.

Re-released Avante 9 years 4 months ago #32749

Martin, I cant thank you enough for your help! Top man! Ill keep you posted on the purchase and what I end up with. All the best!

Re-released Avante 9 years 4 months ago #32750

Maybe something like this?
www.fusionhobbi...harge-deal
The Core Code transmitter is pretty much the only affordable stick 2.4GHz transmitter easily available atm (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I use the next model up (CR151) which has multiple model memory and 3 channels. Core Code receivers are expensive if you have several cars, but you can buy an identical one from Hobbyking in China for about £7.
2.4G wheel radios can be bought very cheaply from ebay. This one
www.ebay.co.uk/...51aeb93bf3
is apparently OK

Re-released Avante 9 years 4 months ago #32751

Hi MOOOSE and Welcome!
Leave us some picts of your super sabre.
You remind me when I was a child. I have the chance that my father bought an Avante and hop uped it but I was like you.
When I went to my RC shop, I had sparckles in the eyes. My dream was to have a nice tamiya with the ADSPEC system. (It is always the case. I love the tamiya radio gears. Same if they are not better than the other).
The avante is the one of the best tam. Fragile but so pretty...
Make you pleasure if you can buy a 2,4ghz tamiya system with your avante. The perfection :silly: :laugh:
A nimh stick or 2 with its charger and you're back in the 90's when you were a child (back to the past :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:)
The following user(s) Liked this: Mooose

Re-released Avante 9 years 4 months ago #32752

I'd also suggest looking at Seidel - 50 GBP cheaper than your earlier link & also in stock :)

Re-released Avante 9 years 4 months ago #32770

Cheers Jonny!

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.