Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

FX-10 Grasshopper 11 years 8 months ago #12340

I recently picked up a NIB rere Hopper for $45 at a flea market. Very odd kit. Came with an MSC and ESC and the chassis is molded for a hump pack but it has the Tamiya roof sticker and not the Weber one.
I have put the chassis and MSC away and ordered a proper rere chassis.
On to my re-working. Decided it needs monster power so in went a 4300kv brushless. As we all know Grasshopper handling pretty much sucks. I installed Hornet rear suspension and it helped hold the power to the ground but the steering still lacked.
Enter the CRP FX-10 front end kit. I could only find a handful of pics of a completed conversion. So there was a lot of trial and error. As it comes it's not a bad kit, just not made for the Grasshopper.
Only minor chassis and body trimming was required to make it fit. And a little trimming on the mounting base.
The big catch is mounting the shocks. I had a pair of mini CVA's, too fat to fit without removing too much plastic. Ok on to some RC4WD 70mm dual rate coil overs. Almost there but still too fat. :( I ended up mounting the shock bottom to the spindle carrier.
The upper arms are also waaaaaayyyyy too long. 4 ball ends and some 4-40 threaded rod later and the wheels are upright.
Road test to come.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: FX-10 Grasshopper 11 years 8 months ago #12342

The upper arms are also waaaaaayyyyy too long. ...

I think you probably got your balljoints in the "wrong" holes ... remember these kits aren't made specifically for the Grasshopper, so some on the fly remodelling is necessary. I tried one of these kits on a Lunchbox & never really got it right, so went back to stock :(

I see you've also mounted the lower ends of the shocks on top of the knuckles rather than the gaps in the lower arms ... not a criticism, just an observation :)

Great score on the kit BTW :y:

FX-10 Grasshopper 11 years 8 months ago #12350

The shocks rubbed the chassis and I didn't want to trim any more off of it so had to go with the next best choice. Actually works really well. It now handles corners with a little authority. But the badword end still bounces around on asphalt. I'm thinking it's as good as it gets without a ball diff, if one even existed.

Re: FX-10 Grasshopper 11 years 8 months ago #12352

I really like this conversion - had it in mind for a while too. B)
This is a picture I received from CRP :

I'm really curious what a Grasshopper'll do with a 9T motor! :blink:
Adjustable upper arms are much nicer than what used to be on it. :y:
Attachments:

FX-10 Grasshopper 11 years 8 months ago #12354

It goes very well on a 9t it'll it gets too much air under it. With just eyeballing it at about 35 mph it takes off.
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.