Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Grasshopper rebuild 11 years 2 months ago #18675

Hi, I've recently got back into rc and would like to mod an old grasshopper. I've seen pictures of hoppers with different gearboxes fitted so you can then have double wishbones and better shocks. Does anyone know which gearboxes i can choose from?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Grasshopper rebuild 11 years 2 months ago #18680

Welcome on board :y: :)

I've seen (later, plastic) RC gearbox & front end grafted on a Grasshopper chassis ( here ), or Tamiya DT-02 suspension grafted on the existing gearbox ( here ), I cheated & used a whole DT-02 chassis & modified the body to fit ( here ).
I can't take too much credit for that, I just took the existing idea & re-did all the shoddy workmanship :whistle:

It's difficult to make a specific recommendation, it's not a common mod & is going to involve a lot of fiddling work no matter what you choose, I hope you're handy with the spanners :)

There are some things you can do to improve the Grasshopper with going quite so radical - the gearbox pivots, oil shocks & top mounts off the back end of a Hornet for example, and adding more weight at the back (e.g. fill a spare front wheel with lead & fit on the back of the rollcage).
Team CRP make a kit to convert all this sort of car to double wishbone front suspension... It's actually for the Futabu FX-10 but it does fit, with work - including chopping a slice out of the front of the body.

Grasshopper rebuild 11 years 2 months ago #18686

Thanks for the response, seems like I have some work to do. I've made a crp type aluminium front shock tower for it this week. Just deciding which shocks to fit.

Grasshopper rebuild 11 years 2 months ago #18704

Don't forget to post up some pic's for us :) cheers andy...
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Grasshopper rebuild 11 years 2 months ago #18720

Hi Andyaus, i have a few pictures taken recently. The king blackfoot is a work in progress but a fine runner. The Holiday buggy is nearly finished, just the roof, led's for lights and new wheels to add. As you can see the grasshopper needs a lot of work but im in no rush as the other 2 run. As i go along i'll add some more pictures. Cheers

Attachments:

Grasshopper rebuild 11 years 2 months ago #18723

:y: Nice work on your hopper. I like it.
Mine is in original shape :P

Grasshopper rebuild 11 years 2 months ago #18736

Welcome, scottdyfrig64. Nice work on your cars so far. :y:

Grasshopper rebuild 10 years 10 months ago #22528

Ok, taken a while. Decided not to take on the rear end build after all. Wish I'd now taken pictures of how bad this body was when I got it. I had to make a different front crp type suspension mount from the last pictures, no matter how hard you try and find the length of a losi 1/18th shock no-one can help you! So I made mine a little bit longer to take 50mm.
For those with eagle eyes the body I used had a curve bit missing from the rear wing, so I made an aluminium one. The shinier bits on the body are 0.5mm aluminium.
Hope you like
Attachments:

Grasshopper rebuild 10 years 10 months ago #22532

Shiny B)

Grasshopper rebuild 10 years 10 months ago #22536

Very nice, a bit like Boyd Coddington's Alumatub. B) :y:

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.