Two front one rear only? Let me know if you want them :y:
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Monster Beetle ... of sorts? 11 years 9 months ago #11609

Two front one rear only? Let me know if you want them :y:

Yes please to the rear :y:

Re: Monster Beetle ... of sorts? 11 years 9 months ago #11627

Chassis arrived this morning & looks quite promising :) I tested the gearbox buy connecting up a battery to the motor, it doesn't sound too bad so I think it & the driveshaft are probably just a bit gummed up with old grease.

Looks clean but dusty (both indoor & outdoor dust), antenna base is missing ...

... as is the MSC base plate. Rear body mount is definitely wrong:

Motor has no label a metal endbell, and a fan in it ... I suspect it's an Ansman "Clash" with the label removed :blink:

Underside is excellent ....

... Already planning to swap the bumper with the CRP one on my shelfer ...

... worst damage underneath is this on the underguard:

Springs are indeed a bit rusty:

Re: Monster Beetle ... of sorts? 11 years 9 months ago #11647

Well I've dismantled the gearbox ... see if you can spot what's wrong ...

Pinion:

Gearbox side plates:

Gears:

I couldn't see anything wrong to make it "noisy" :huh:

In other news, the chassis was sporting a fetching pink servo saver:

That didn't take long :whistle:

Re: Monster Beetle ... of sorts? 11 years 9 months ago #11649

Burred pinion (Or is that grease?) & pointy counter gear? Made worse by the non-replaced bronze bushes? I'm looking at the black on the counter gear, & black is usually impregnated metal dust (Lack of lube).
Do my eyes deceive me, or is there only 1x motor screw present? - if so, & it's loose, that'll be my final answer.... In fact, that screw doesn't even appear to be in a motor tapping?

Re: Monster Beetle ... of sorts? 11 years 9 months ago #11652

Burred pinion (Or is that grease?) & pointy counter gear? Made worse by the non-replaced bronze bushes? I'm looking at the black on the counter gear, & black is usually impregnated metal dust (Lack of lube).
Do my eyes deceive me, or is there only 1x motor screw present? - if so, & it's loose, that'll be my final answer.... In fact, that screw doesn't even appear to be in a motor tapping?

It's grease on the pinion, there is a little dirt on the counter gear but no little or wear, & the bronze bushes were a good fit. The motor I think was a quick lash up to make it look complete in the eBay photos, it was only held in loosely with one screw, there's no way it's been run like that as it would have fallen off or shredded the counter gear in seconds.

Lots of nuts hadn't been torqued up, so I suspect this was really a collecion of parts rather than an original car. The only faults I could see on the gearbox were that one of the diff bearings showed some rust, the plastic bearings on the hubs were very grabby, and the grease - in terms of stickiness, it was up there with Tamiya's AW (anti wear) grease :blink:

I think all it needs is to be cleaned & rebuilt with the correct fasteners & lubrication, proper bearings & a decent motor :)

Re: Monster Beetle ... of sorts? 11 years 9 months ago #11655

That's thrown me - so was the noisy gearbox something from the Ebay ad, or something you actually heard yourself? Could be it was just lack of experience on the seller's part that it was deemed "noisy", after all, they ain't exactly quiet when in perfect working order, probably a weird acoustic thing related to the thin ally sideplates of the 'box.

Either way, a rebuild, checkover, & new grease would be in order, even if it was reported to be good, is always the safest option!

Re: Monster Beetle ... of sorts? 11 years 9 months ago #11659

That's thrown me - so was the noisy gearbox something from the Ebay ad, or something you actually heard yourself? Could be it was just lack of experience on the seller's part that it was deemed "noisy", after all, they ain't exactly quiet when in perfect working order, probably a weird acoustic thing related to the thin ally sideplates of the 'box.

Either way, a rebuild, checkover, & new grease would be in order, even if it was reported to be good, is always the safest option!

It came from the eBay listing:

GOOD CONDITION WITH VERY FEW SCRATCHES UNDERNETH, THERE ARE A FEW SIGNS OF WEAR AND ON ITS LAST USE THE GEARBOX STARTED TO MAKE A REAL NOISE, SO I'D SAY THE GEARS ARE NO GOOD. THERE IS SOME RUST TO THE SPRINGS.

:)

Re: Monster Beetle ... of sorts? 11 years 9 months ago #11665

A real noise? Like, not one he imagined? If the noise started badly in one sitting, I'd say grit or something loose, or like you said, a broken tooth. PERHAPS, he was being aggressive & the noise he's caused/referring to was that of a slipperty diff? - they make a racket when they let go

Re: Monster Beetle ... of sorts? 11 years 9 months ago #11668

A real noise? Like, not one he imagined? If the noise started badly in one sitting, I'd say grit or something loose, or like you said, a broken tooth. PERHAPS, he was being aggressive & the noise he's caused/referring to was that of a slipperty diff? - they make a racket when they let go

I did give it a quick spin up (holding the motor flat) before I dismantled it & the left hand side driveshaft was barely turning thanks to gummed up hub bearings & the sticky grease in the drive cups - that didn't make it any noisier, but I think you need to bear in mind the codified nature of eBay listings: "untested" means broken, "good condition for age" means it's clapped out, and "no returns due to the nature of the hobby" means it's a POS ... saying it's "noisy" & the gears are probably "no good" is I think just badword-covering by a seller lacking in knowledge.

The other possibility is, as you say, grit, or similar - there was some unexplained black smeg on the inside of the gear cases ... I have to wonder if a fan motor makes that more likely to happen :whistle:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.