Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lunchbox makeover 10 years 6 months ago #25791

• stevieg
  • stevieg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Stomping Around
  • Stomping Around
I won this original LB rolling chassis on Tradera (Swedens lame attempt at EBAY) for about £21,it's in pretty decent condition so i decided to do my own version of the LB instead of my usual box art route.

I had a set of G-Made piggy backs lurking in a box from a hi-lift which never got fitted and with only a little modification using the bottoms of the original shocks as top mounts they fit nicely and look rather snazzy.

Next job was to ditch the yellow Tonka like wheels,i really like the look of the Bruiser wheels with built in hub so i ordered those and a set of mounting hubs from JR-RC,with a bit of drilling and grinding i managed to make the hubs fit using the Frog/Brat hex adaptors at the rear and twin metal bearings up front.

Im still waiting for the tyres to arrive but i've chosen HPI low profile v-grooves,hopefully they should look pretty good.I was in luck when it came to obtaining a body,my mate Andreas replaced his LB body with an expert built one so i got a free body :)

After removing the paint with DOT 4 the body looks good,im going for a 70's custom van theme so i drilled out a couple of port holes in the back panels,i've also filled in the mounting peg holes and will be lowering the body a little.

Next job is to primer the body and decide exactly on a colour scheme,any suggestions?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Lunchbox makeover 10 years 6 months ago #25796

:laugh: Nice I like the round window :y:

Lunchbox makeover 10 years 6 months ago #25800

I like the porthole detail :y:

With the Bruiser hubs, do the wheels have more offset than stock? I ask as the regular front wheels tend to foul the bodywork, even without lowering it :(

Signature 1970's car colours for me are Ford Signal Orange, Ford Signal Yellow, Ford Signal Green, and metallic browns, all with vinyl (matt/satin black) roofs ... Ford purple velvet metallic, Candy reds & candy blues, candy orange are possibilities too, along with other nasty greens, such as Rover Applejack green ... basically anything bright and/or psychedelic. Remember, the 1960's didn't end until 1975.

:)

Lunchbox makeover 10 years 6 months ago #25802

Very funky monkey :)
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Lunchbox makeover 10 years 6 months ago #25815

• stevieg
  • Stomping Around
  • Stomping Around
Jonny,the front hubs are spaced out using one bronze bush because the lb's stub axles are so long.

With the Bruiser wheel fitted the distance on full compression is slightly better than the original rims,maybe 7-8mm gap.

Using the low profile tyres and the fact that it would never reach full compression anyway all should go well. :whistle:
Attachments:

Last edit: by stevieg.

Lunchbox makeover 10 years 6 months ago #25909

• stevieg
  • Stomping Around
  • Stomping Around
The HPI v-grooves finally arrived and im really happy with how they look on the Bruiser rims,i also got the body primered and into a base white,it's actually sitting lower than i intend at the moment but still no rubbing issues.The next job is to fit body mount posts,im intending to have them sideways again like the originals but lower and screwed into the side of the tub and attaching to the body using the side guard holes.

Attachments:

Lunchbox makeover 10 years 6 months ago #25910

Looking great :cheer: I have those tyres on a couple of projects, good aren't they :y: Have you decided on the final body scheme ?
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Lunchbox makeover 10 years 6 months ago #25911

• stevieg
  • Stomping Around
  • Stomping Around

Looking great :cheer: I have those tyres on a couple of projects, good aren't they :y: Have you decided on the final body scheme ?

Well i've pretty much decided on orange and purple :woohoo: possibly with a bit of lime green and silver thrown in for good measure! My only problem is that living out in the sticks of northern Sweden i now have to make a 2 hour trip to the nearest city to buy aerosol cans in anything other than basic colours,so it might be awhile before there's an update! When i do go i'll be sure to buy a fair few cans of everything :laugh:

Lunchbox makeover 10 years 6 months ago #25919

:woohoo: Top street tires. Are they ok for the original lunchy rims?

Lunchbox makeover 10 years 6 months ago #25921

• stevieg
  • Stomping Around
  • Stomping Around

:woohoo: Top street tires. Are they ok for the original lunchy rims?

They won't fit the standard lb rims,not wide enough and slightly different diameter,thses hpi tyres are standard 2.2,not sure what the lb is.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.