Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Cheetah wreck resto 11 years 7 months ago #13269

...Gonna have a wander about on the net to find out what the chassis is similar to/based on (For ideas of what body could be suited to it).

Lancia Stratos? Bertone X-19? Lotus Esprit? I know the Triumph TR7 is out, unless you want to retrofit cart springs to the Cheetah chassis :whistle:

Although .. torsion bars ... Citroen 2CV? :laugh: Could you swap the ends round & make it front engine FWD?

TBH though, rear engine, RWD, double wishbone suspension & torsion bars ... I can't really think of any 1:1 car that has that configuration :huh: :unsure:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Cheetah wreck resto 11 years 7 months ago #13293

I know someone who'd definately pay decent money for a Stratos RC... (Now, where do I get a 1/12th Stratos shell?)
Funnily enough, he owns a Lotus Elise, which as far as I know was based on the X1/9, & I know I've got that shell in my loft too. It's supposed to be 1/10, but it looks smaller.

Nope, 2CVs are leading arm front, trailing arm rear, linked to a single "pushmepullyou" spring box affair either side of the chassis.

Interesting idea front engine FWD, but that's back into cars, & I'm kinda trying to avoid that if I can (Not a huge fan of car cars).

I reckon military (Maybe I'll get lucky & have a XR311 turn up), or more likely fantasy, but I don't wanna say too much in case it doesn't happen...

Re: Cheetah wreck resto 11 years 7 months ago #13610

This is what I was banging on about Jonny -
The C-hubs on my Cheetah are 1-piece plastic items, NOT metal multi-component items.
Even my Cheetah manual doesn't show this type, & you say even the re-re XR311 still has the metal bits too...

I don't think they've been homemade & they fit too well to have belonged to something else

Anyone got any ideas?
Attachments:

Re: Cheetah wreck resto 11 years 7 months ago #13621

This is what I was banging on about Jonny -
The C-hubs on my Cheetah are 1-piece plastic items, NOT metal multi-component items.
Even my Cheetah manual doesn't show this type, & you say even the re-re XR311 still has the metal bits too...

I don't think they've been homemade & they fit too well to have belonged to something else

All the chassis' I've had came with 3-piece _plastic_ uprights (top, bottom & rectangular middle, all screwed together), all the manuals show this type, including the recent re-re-re, I don't know about the 00's re-re.

I don't know about 1-piece items - how on earth do you get the front knuckles in? Are you sure they haven't been glued in the past, or you've just got that, you know, wrong? :dry:

I also have no idea about the metal ones I sent you, yes they looked pretty good dimensionally, but the fact they're made from three different metals & have a rough finish, with freehand "engraving" on them still make me think they were homemade ... still pretty odd though, those bits aren't the weak point on these cars :huh:

:)

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: Cheetah wreck resto 11 years 7 months ago #13681

Sorry Jonny (& everone else I've got looking), I'm being a spange... Just had another proper look at my C-hubs, & yes they are indeed 3-part, screwed together (Don't remember doing that & missed it with the brief look).
As for the metal bits you sent, I haven't looked closely at them yet....

Re: Cheetah wreck resto 11 years 6 months ago #14956

A very minor update - I decided to do something about the flat spotted tyre I'd been ignoring:

:)
Attachments:

Re: Cheetah wreck resto 11 years 6 months ago #14958

Uncanny... I was only looking at the bits you sent last night with a view to doing something with it! & then there was the 50p/20p moment over the package I thought was XR311

Re: Cheetah wreck resto 11 years 6 months ago #14959

Good solution, Jonny. That's how I got my (flattened) original Grasshopper tyres running again as well. :)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds