Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Williams FW11 resto 11 years 9 months ago #11338

Very interesting to see the construction of such a car before the point of evolution I dove into so far...
Think it's the last one that didn't use a T-bar.
But the motor placement (in the exact middle) is something that took until the F103 again to get solved.
F101, F102 and Group C all have a offset...

Looking very good. :y:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Williams FW11 resto 11 years 9 months ago #11339

I forgot to take a "before" pic, but in the paint on the inside of the body was pretty scruffy & a bit thin, so I gave everything another coat. Surprisingly enough I had all the colours - I know the car is pretty simple & was in good order to start with, but all the hoarding of bits & materials is paying off now - I had enough new fasteners to rebuild it without buying anything & I had a used antenna, so apart from the purchase cost of the car, restoring it cost me "nothing".

Lexan bodies are all very well, but sometimes the finish is just too shiny - this is ths cockpit before:

... and this is it after painting the outside (with polycarbonate paints) - it's still shinier than I'd like, but it's a bit more detailed:

I wasn't happy with the blue decal on top of the helmet, so painted it instead:

I only replaceed the worst decals - I had printed out new stripes for the side of the body, but used burgundy vinyl instead as I haven't found waterslide transfers to be anything like as good as I'd hoped:

The red 5 is also vinyl, the large ICI logo is a waterslide (which is still wrinkled :( ), the name at the rear of the cockpit is also a waterslide:

Done:

:)

Re: Williams FW11 resto 11 years 9 months ago #11341

I remember this car driving everyone silly for a long time with it's active suspension...
And the driver bringing much spectacle to the races. Much more than you see now.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.