Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Technigold for my Monster Beetle resto? 11 years 10 months ago #10802

Hi, in another thread I metioned in passing that I planned to put a Technigold motor in my Monster Beetle restoration. This comment got a bit of attention as people thought it would not suit my otherwise standard restoration, "it doesn't 'feel' quite right as a period upgrade". I have seen a promo video which did suggest using a Technigold motor in the Monster Beetle which lead me to believe that this was a period upgrade (type "Tamiya Monster Beetle" into You Tube, it's the first video that comes up). I am not at all concerned with performance as this car will retain the mechanical speed controller and see very limited use. I just want it to look cool sitting on the shelf. What do you guys think?
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by vara351.

Re: Technigold for my Monster Beetle resto? 11 years 10 months ago #10803

Well I guess I was wrong :laugh:

I'm just suprised Tamiya were touting it as an upgrade for the Monster Beetle ... but then again, despite all the hype (then and now), it is only a 21T :whistle:

Re: Technigold for my Monster Beetle resto? 11 years 10 months ago #10804

I'd say go for it! It matches the wheels (more or less). :silly:

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Technigold for my Monster Beetle resto? 11 years 10 months ago #10822

I'll say go as well.
The Technigold was seen as part of a model first time in the 58057 Bigwig (summer of 1986), so it definitely is "period correct" for your 58060 Monster Beetle. (released December 1986)

It's another question if the gearbox can take it. I wouldn't know :)

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: Technigold for my Monster Beetle resto? 11 years 10 months ago #10835

It's another question if the gearbox can take it. I wouldn't know :)

-Lars[/quote]

Ha ha yeah, I could easily imagine the diff chattering away if one did run the technigold and 8.4v like the promo suggests... still, that is 3 votes in favor (me and 2 others) and 0 against....(jonny sitting on the fence?)

Re: Technigold for my Monster Beetle resto? 11 years 8 months ago #12285

Well I probably will not fit the Technigold after all... I now have a Technigold-powered Supershot and I do not want both of my vintage cars to have the same motor. I have only driven this car once so far and it had an old Yokomo "Pocket Rocket"(27T I think?) fitted then as it was hard-wired to the MSC. Now the car has the standard 540J which is exciting and different to me in a way, as all of my other cars have hot motors except this one.

Last edit: by vara351.
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.