Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

XR311/Cheetah battery terminal dimensions? 11 years 4 months ago #16349

I've always fancied converting my Cheetah to run dry cells (As per the manual), as it seems everyone & their pet monkey builds theirs with the NiCd conversion!

So, is there any chance someone out there still has the metal dry-cell contacts that they could measure & post some dimensions please? I'm particularly interested in the "double" contact Y7.

Of course, if you have some you don't want, let me know, ta! (It would save me shredding my mitts on bits of bean-can!)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: XR311/Cheetah battery terminal dimensions? 11 years 4 months ago #16365

Don't worry, I'm sorted... It wasn't quite as a horrific job as I was anticipating! - the XR311 manual pics appear to be quite accurate, so I just scaled the pics & used those.

Here's some pics of an evening's fannying about with bean-tins...
(I machined up a punch to do the "pips" for the small terminals)

Attachments:

Re: XR311/Cheetah battery terminal dimensions? 11 years 4 months ago #16389

Nice work!

I'd be interested in seeing how long old skool zinc oxide cells would last in that ... and how well they'd cope with inclines or a rough surface :whistle:

Re: XR311/Cheetah battery terminal dimensions? 11 years 4 months ago #16394

Wow Eddrick - you truly are a master fabricator!

Re: XR311/Cheetah battery terminal dimensions? 11 years 4 months ago #16396

I meant zinc carbon ... zinc oxide is what you put on nappy rash :whistle:

Re: XR311/Cheetah battery terminal dimensions? 11 years 4 months ago #16408

No time for master-fabrication, I've got toy cars to sort, I'll get to that later...

Cheers Martin!

Cheers Jonny! The small contacts couldn't have happened without the bits you sent, so cheers again for that too!
Yeah, I'm dying to see it run with dry cells (Remembering how pathetic my BigTrak was on EverReadys).
I was gonna run it last night but found myself stumped & confused with a handful of 'D' batteries - I could've sworn HP2, U2, UM2 etc was 'D' size, but they're way too big to fit in the holder, it wants 'C' cells (on the see-saw) & I don't have any of those at the mo.

Learned something else whilst fitting the new contacts to my Cheetah - I always wondered what the extra holes in the chassis & the pair of shorter torsion bars were for, then twigged, the Cheetah is shorter than the XR311.
I thought the XR311 came first, then the Cheetah, but the extra holes etc would rather suggest they were thought-up at the same time. The Rx/battery plates are also in different places on the 2 cars, again with extra holes for re-positioning

Re: XR311/Cheetah battery terminal dimensions? 11 years 4 months ago #16417

Really great refab work there Eddrick!! :y:
You could apply at Tamiya hq for a job :laugh:

Here are pics from my cheetah
You made them perfect in my opinion.

Cheers, Bram
Restoring Countach 58005
Restoring 58015 RR
Restoring 58098 F40
Restoring King Cab and Monsterracer
Restoring Audi Quattro rally
Restoring Mk.1 Sand Scorcher
Restoring Porsche 936
Attachments:

Last edit: by BramMeijer.

Re: XR311/Cheetah battery terminal dimensions? 11 years 4 months ago #16426

Cheers Bram!
Quite pleased with how they came out, even if I do say so myself!

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.