Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

SRB Gear Box 11 years 2 months ago #18829

Hi. Anybody here know a good and safe way to split the gearbox on the SRB that has been sealed with silicone or other sealant without breaking the aluminum mold?

It's Rough Rider rebuilding week at my house !

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Ugly Casanova.

SRB Gear Box 11 years 2 months ago #18840

Hi Ugly :P ,

I'm actually restoring a Rough Rider which has almost the same Gearbox housing and experienced the same problem as you.

I used this plastic tool combined with a nylon hammer.

The main purpose of that tool is to remove the balance weights on car aluminium rims. So if you're looking for one just go where you can find garage equippments and you'll find it.

Hope this helps
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Ugly Casanova

Last edit: by Manotas.

SRB Gear Box 11 years 2 months ago #18859

Thank you for your reply Manotas,
I fortunately was able to pry it apart shortly after posting without damage. I have 4 of these to restore and this is number one, I am still a rookie in the SRB department. Lusting after them for hours and hours, days and days, months and months and years, doesn't count ! I could never forgive myself If I damage these rare parts ! Glad to see you had equal success !

SRB Gear Box 11 years 2 months ago #18885

Have a look in your local home DIY store - in the bathroom or sealants department, you should find some stuff specifically for removing/dissolving silicone sealant. Tends to be a bit slow though.

Failing that, cellulose thinners, acetone or petrol will dissolve it, but make sure you don't get it on the clear covers as it will attack them (Plastic gears should be ok though)

SRB Gear Box 11 years 2 months ago #18919

Thank you for your reply Manotas,
I fortunately was able to pry it apart shortly after posting without damage. I have 4 of these to restore and this is number one, I am still a rookie in the SRB department. Lusting after them for hours and hours, days and days, months and months and years, doesn't count ! I could never forgive myself If I damage these rare parts ! Glad to see you had equal success !

Excellent, i'm glad you made without braking anything. As you said those parts are very rare (specially Mk1 ones) and exremely hard to find..at affordable prices !

Looking forward to the a restore thread !
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.