Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Anatomy of the SRB 11 years 2 months ago #18908

I have set to the task of restoring 4 vintage SRB's. From what I started with was 2 Rough Riders, 1 Scorcher, and 1 Ranger F150. I have noticed that many of these parts are what have been referred to as MK1 and what I have done so far is to disassemble all 4 chassis and make heaping piles of aluminum and steel with traces of brass, fiberglass, plastic and rubber, let's not forget the 30 lbs of excess silicon sealant. Well I have here an anomaly in my collection of fiberglass, one of them has a few extra holes and they are factory, I haven't gotten to the part of my sad lonely life where I am downloading the instruction manuals from Lars web-sight, but I am certain that that terrible day will arrive shortly, because I know I will have many questions that those manuals may not explicitly describe, I figure I may as well begin a thread on my builds. Let me tell you, I rarely finish anything that I start so you may never see a final outcome, heck I may have already lost interest, 1 of the 4, I will undoubtedly be keeping, the 3 have an uncertain shelf life in their near future. Let me get directly to the point. Here is a photo of the 4 chassis? To which genre does the odd species belong?
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Ugly Casanova.

Anatomy of the SRB 11 years 2 months ago #18909

Odd one out would be from a Super Champ :)

You should download, print out & study the manuals, I find they make excellent reading material for short porcelain cruises (on the SS Armitage Shanks, for example)... though if you are at work, you might need to hide it inside a copy of The Sun, Mirror, Tory Reactionary, etc ;)

Anatomy of the SRB 11 years 2 months ago #18928

Odd one out would be from a Super Champ :)

You should download, print out & study the manuals, I find they make excellent reading material for short porcelain cruises (on the SS Armitage Shanks, for example)... though if you are at work, you might need to hide it inside a copy of The Sun, Mirror, Tory Reactionary, etc ;)

Must have been replaced. No Super Champs involved in these rebuilds so,,,,,,on to Anomaly #2

GEAR CASING:

Here there are two different gear casings, both left and right have very slight differences.
Below is the LEFT side and there is an indentation (or dimple) in the roll-bar mount in one style, but not the other. More pronounced is the bridge across the bearing cups.

and the RIGHT side casing has an added motor placement tab on one, but not the other. Which of these will make a pair? (MK1 vs)

RIGHT casing:

Attachments:

Anatomy of the SRB 11 years 2 months ago #18936

In your top pic (left gearbox halves) the mk.1 is the lower/rightmost one, in the lower pic (right halves), the mk.1 is the rightmost one ... it should be obvious when you try & fit the pairs together - the bit that sticks out in front where the bck end of the radio box fits are different lengths :)
The following user(s) Liked this: Ugly Casanova

Anatomy of the SRB 11 years 2 months ago #18937

nice pics, keep it coming :y:
The following user(s) Liked this: Ugly Casanova

Last edit: by waterbok.

Anatomy of the SRB 11 years 2 months ago #19070

Here are 3 different

front shock mounts (uprights).
Attachments:

Anatomy of the SRB 11 years 2 months ago #19071

In your top pic (left gearbox halves) the mk.1 is the lower/rightmost one, in the lower pic (right halves), the mk.1 is the rightmost one ... it should be obvious when you try & fit the pairs together - the bit that sticks out in front where the bck end of the radio box fits are different lengths :)

The right hand casings: Neither of those are "MK 1" AFAIK. The bumper mounting tabs are wrong. What do they look like on the left side?

My Mk 1

Of the front shock mount uprights, the middle one (with the M2 screws for holding the springs) is the MK 1 version. The other two are later, but I don't know which one is older.

Edit: I've got a stack of "Mk 1" gearbox casings in various conditions - tomorrow I'll have a look and see if there are any differences.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Martin Bell.

Anatomy of the SRB 11 years 1 month ago #19115

I've checked my selection of gearboxes and this is what I found (All are what I would call MK1 (separate rear cage mounting lugs being the main distinguishing feature):
- Left hand casing (motor side) (I have 4 of these) - All have the reinforcing bit between the bearing cups.

- Right hand casing (spur gear side) (I have 5) - all have the third motor locating pin, except one :huh: It has not been cut off or anything like that.

In addition, that ALL have the the closed bottom to the roll bar mount and the additional cast "lumps" near the chassis mounting (another "MK1" feature)

So it looks like even between "MK1" castings, there are some variations.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.