Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Vintage Decals resource printing 10 years 10 months ago #22650

Hiya,

Does anyone know of or recommend a resource to print vintage decals?

Or does anyone get any great results just from printing from an inkjet and transparent sticky back sheets?

Would like to know your experiences please!

<p>Current projects:</p>

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Vintage Decals resource printing 10 years 10 months ago #22651

Sounds like a cue for JR to write one of his excellent "How to" articles ;)

Vintage Decals resource printing 10 years 10 months ago #22653

Jonny Retro has a great article on that here , with other useful tips as well on printing your own. I go a slightly different route though as I like to make my own decals and I am lucky to have access to some equipment. I also make smaller labels for film props, so these are my tips.

The cheapest and simplest is to use an inkjet printer to make decals. You can get the quality in the print, the only drawback is that the ink is usually not waterproof or UV stable. Depending on the printer you can use avery jac label (its a world wide brand so should be available in most countries and comes in gloss and matt). The advantage is no messy gluing. If I have to spray glue, I use 3M super77, its not cheap, but will stick s**t to a blanket. We use spray lacquer to water proof the print (you want to do several coats though, hair spray can also work). The downside is that the background is white and you need to hand cut out the prints.

My preferred methods would require befriending the local sign shop. For text I like to vinyl cut the text (This is what Dasbeermeister is showing in this thread ). With the right vinyl, blade and settings you can cut very small text to about 3 mm high. This is how I have done my Renault and Audi Quattro .

vinyl is the hardest wearing and to me looks the best. You can also combine colours to make multi-coloured logos etc.

The next way to make stickers is to print them with a wide format printer on outdoor vinyl. These stickers are waterproof, UV stable and depending on the printer can even be printed onto clear. Many new printers will also print and cut, so you can make shaped stickers. I usually overlaminate my stickers so stop them scratching as well. This is how I did the Rallye de Portegal and number plates on my Audi.

There are generally 3 grades of vinyl that can be used, monomeric, polymeric and cast vinyl. Monomeric is the cheapest and would suit most applications, but I recommend you use at least polymeric grade. For small text its much easier to cut, and with a little heat can be stretched and moulded over curved surfaces.

If the sign shop is anything like me, they should do a cash in hand job and slot the job in with other jobs to try and reduce the price. With vinyl cutting (as long as its cut properly), get them to just cut it, and you can weed it when you get home (to save on labour costs). You will need to ask for some application tape, or buy some low tac masking tape to transfer the cut vinyl to the car.

Another tip is to ask the sign shop if they have any off-cuts that you can have, chances are they will have smaller sheets that are of no real use to them, but more than enough for a rc car.

Whatever way you choose to go, your biggest problem will be artwork. To print or cut properly you will need artwork files setup correctly, and cut files need to be vector based. Inkscape is one free program that should work (I have not used this though). I use adobe illustrator and coreldraw to make my files, but they are both expensive programs. Artwork done in word and publisher won't cut the mustard if you go outside the print it yourself route. If you managed to get some off-cuts of vinyl from a signage shop, you can hand cut logos etc by first printing out an outline of the artwork and lightly stick it on some vinyl. You can then cut it out with a small knife. Tricky with small designs though.

If its for a restore, there are a number of scanned images floating around on then net. I have a large collection myself that I am happy to email to anyone who asks, but the quality can be dubious and many files are print only. Personally I like to remake any artwork on a restore that I am doing, but its time consuming. I've only done the Audi Quattro and Renault so far, plus some generic racing stickers for a Pantera I have. Although in saying that, many company logos are freely available if you search on the net. Look for vector versions, usually they are supplied in eps or pdf format.

Lastly a 3rd option is to buy a small home screening printing kit. I'd only recommend it if you plan on doing a lot and like to tinker a lot. The advantages in the long run though are you can make waterproof stickers onto clear vinyl, using colours like metallic gold yourself. It terms of process, its like making home circuit boards, very doable, but you will need to use chemicals and there is a bit of an outlay.

well, I hope that helps and wasn't too much.
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut, BramMeijer, Manotas

Vintage Decals resource printing 10 years 10 months ago #22668

Thanks Yogi... excellent reference!

Cheers! :y:
<p>Current projects:</p>

Last edit: by Porsche959Boy. Reason: Risk of copyright infringement from Tamiya!!
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.