Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

polishing 10 years 10 months ago #22765

hi guys

ive noticed a lot of you polish up your plastic parts while doing a resto,im restoring a falcon for my sons 6th birthday,i will include photos at a later date of the resto. :woohoo:

how do u polish these parts and what do yo guys use to do it?

all help apreciated

jon the fox :y:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

polishing 10 years 10 months ago #22766

hi guys

ive noticed a lot of you polish up your plastic parts while doing a resto,im restoring a falcon for my sons 6th birthday,i will include photos at a later date of the resto. :woohoo:

how do u polish these parts and what do yo guys use to do it?

all help apreciated

jon the fox :y:

Starting with a rough grade of wet & dry paper (as low as 60 grit for really gouged bits), going through increasingly finer grades to (to at least 1200 grit, preferrably further), then using a cutting paste & finally a polish ... I got some good results with the "Novus" set of polishes - have a look here for an example :)

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

polishing 10 years 10 months ago #22768

excellent thanks again jonny,ive just ordered some off the bay,ive sanded the tub down already just needs polishing now.
can you use this product on polycarbonate bodies do you know?

regards

jtf

polishing 10 years 10 months ago #22774

excellent thanks again jonny,ive just ordered some off the bay,ive sanded the tub down already just needs polishing now.
can you use this product on polycarbonate bodies do you know?

regards

jtf

I've used it on all sort of stuff, including paint & on poly bodies, but lexan/polycarbonate seems to vary so much I wouldn't guarantee anything is safe on it ... maybe try on an area that won't be seen if it does go wrong? (like somewhere covered by the rear wing?)

:)

polishing 10 years 10 months ago #22776

thanks jonny

its good to know it works on paint,i had to fix my f parts then paint them,so when there set i can polish them up too :)
thanks for the great advice i will let you know how i get on.

regards

jtf

polishing 10 years 10 months ago #22777

I also did an article on polishing paint, aka Rubbing Out .

:)

polishing 10 years 10 months ago #22799

:) Be carefull with your falcon body. I think that it's not really lexan. I refund mine in puzzle after an unpainting test :cry:

polishing 10 years 10 months ago #22806

sorry to hear about your falcon body stingray :n:

wow jonny that looks like a minty mint paint job :y: ,did u rub it down by hand or some kind of hobby polisher? :)

polishing 10 years 10 months ago #22807

sorry to hear about your falcon body stingray :n:

wow jonny that looks like a minty mint paint job :y: ,did u rub it down by hand or some kind of hobby polisher? :)

That's all by hand, well, very small bits of old cotton t-shirt, in the case of the polishes ... I think anything motorised would burn through the clear & paint really quickly :pinch:

polishing 10 years 10 months ago #22808

JR the pro of the handwork ;) :P

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.442 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.