Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

masking windows 10 years 7 months ago #25279

hi guys

im on that part of my resto where i need to mask out my bodyshell ready for painting.

ive never done this before or even painted a poly body shell,could really use some quality hints and tips on how its done to acheive a great finish,aahhem (jonny retro) :whistle: :)

its for a boomerang project ive done for my son,he wants it blue so im going to call it a bluemerang just to satisyfy my odd sense of humer :blink:

thanks again fellas

jtf

Please Log in to join the conversation.

masking windows 10 years 7 months ago #25284

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Last edit: by AndyAus.

masking windows 10 years 7 months ago #25285

thanks andy,i did have a look around in resto tips but couldnt find anything.

thanks for the link,very helpfull

jtf :y:

masking windows 10 years 7 months ago #25295

The only thing I'd add to that is if you're going to0 use masking tape, Tamiya stuff is far superior for edges :y:

masking windows 10 years 7 months ago #25296

thanks jonny great advice :y:

i was just wondering,when you apply the tape do you overlap it then cut it,or do you try and fit it to the actual window size? does that make sense :blink:

jtf

Last edit: by jon_the_fox.

masking windows 10 years 7 months ago #25298

I'm not really the right person to ask, I'm pretty cack-handed, especially when it comes to masking in small spaces ... In general I've tried to cut the tape to the right lengths before sticking them down, doing the edges like a picture frame first & then filling in the middle.

:)

masking windows 10 years 7 months ago #25302

HI!... When getting ready to mask for windows, I usually trim a piece or several pieces of cut printer paper to size. I than transfer that shape over to some regular cooking wax paper. I then use only Tamiya masking tape and cover the wax paper shape. Then I trim the tape back to fit the original shape. Then simple peel off the tape and apply it to the body. Works perfect for me everytime. :y:

Last edit: by THE H.P FREAK.

masking windows 10 years 7 months ago #25303

Interesting approach. :y:
Before I used to cut small strips and fill up any round curves by overlapping them.
After I saw a tip from Louisbaby, I now try to shape it with a hobby knife while it's on the shell.
This is tricky though, one should only cut the tape (not the lexan)...
Another vote for Tamiya tape - no residue on the shell would be my own main reason.

Last edit: by Edou.

masking windows 10 years 7 months ago #25307

some great advice as usual,thanks again guys..i will try and get some pics up when done. :y: :)

jtf

masking windows 10 years 7 months ago #25312

When I made up the window mask's for my M-01 build, I used blue painters tape which sealed nicely on the edges but also pealed off easily :) I smoothed the tape over all the edges and then cut them with a brand new Stanley blade, didn't need to apply much pressure so it only cut the tape and not the body ;)
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
Attachments:

Last edit: by AndyAus.
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.