Keyword

TOPIC:

Dan's first Hotshot restoration 5 years 9 months ago #51035

Could it be that one reason to use the polyurethane bushings is for fit? I dropped the front axle twice, and the second time couldn't be found. Oh well, guess I'll just pull more parts from the red one (and buy another set(s) for when it's time to build that one out!). I got to really run this thing though, and what a blast!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Dan's first Hotshot restoration 5 years 9 months ago #51036

Here's a short clip of the first run in the alley...

The following user(s) Liked this: Gripper107, Al

Dan's first Hotshot restoration 5 years 9 months ago #51037

Dude! It is fast.

Dan's first Hotshot restoration 5 years 9 months ago #51039

It really moves! On the dog bones falling out (I guess it's just one of them), I read that cutting the spring of a ballpoint pen and inserting on either end helps to keep them from dropping. I'll be trying that in conjunction with the poly bushings. I also read not to grease the ball cup point to keep from attracting dirt, which also helps to keep from them slipping out in a collision.

And one last question for now: does anyone else have issues with the steering rub on the front skid plate? I initially had the ball screws in the holes farthest from the axle, and in addition to a very short radius, it seemed like one of the rod ties was hanging up on the bumper. I then moved to the inside holes which greatly improved steering, but then the ties were butting up against the pointed part on the lower arm (F parts). Sound familiar to anyone else? I just clipped the badword points to allow a bit more clearance.

Hopefully some folks will chime in with their experience.

Last edit: by danrighton.

Dan's first Hotshot restoration 5 years 9 months ago #51101

New body all cut out, painted, and decal'd.

This is my first body attempt, and boy did I have a heck of a time making good cuts with my hobby blade. Wound up having an easier go with small scissors, however, not before screwing up the rear side cover that surrounds the antennae. I planned on carving out space for my motor and battery cables coming off my ESC anyway, since I soldered my connectors too close to the frame and the original body did not fit quite right. Well, I guess a little extra trimming doesn't hurt (especially once you make both sides look the same)! Still, had I started with the scissors, I'd likely have a bit more lexan than what I wound up with!

If you're here, can you see my question in my previous post above RE: steering arm rub?

Thanks!
Attachments:

Last edit: by danrighton.

Dan's first Hotshot restoration 5 years 9 months ago #51102

Nice body.
I haven't run my hs but doesn't have any matter with the stering.

Dan's first Hotshot restoration 5 years 9 months ago #51104

I'll get some images posted shortly. Waiting on a front drive shaft as I thew one in the grass and can't locate (I'm sure it'll turn up when I mow the lawn :( ) I've added 5mm of ballpoint pen springs on both ends of the other three drive shafts, as well as halved poly bushings in the cups. That ought to keep them in place...I hope!

Dan's first Hotshot restoration 5 years 9 months ago #51105

For several models tamiya puted o rings. Now replaced by small fluo foams.
The following user(s) Liked this: danrighton

Dan's first Hotshot restoration 5 years 9 months ago #51108

Hi!
I haven't heard about a steering problem like the one you describe on the Hotshot.
Can you show some pictures as to what is rubbing where both before and after the modification.
I notice you are using a custom upright, does it have the same dimansions as the original one? (overall height and lengt of arm?)
-Lars

And one last question for now: does anyone else have issues with the steering rub on the front skid plate? I initially had the ball screws in the holes farthest from the axle, and in addition to a very short radius, it seemed like one of the rod ties was hanging up on the bumper. I then moved to the inside holes which greatly improved steering, but then the ties were butting up against the pointed part on the lower arm (F parts). Sound familiar to anyone else? I just clipped the badword points to allow a bit more clearance.

Hopefully some folks will chime in with their experience.

Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Dan's first Hotshot restoration 5 years 9 months ago #51109

Like Flo says, use the small o-rings in the drive cups. They tend to stay there by themselves, I doubt the ballpen springs will. :ohmy: :y:

I'll get some images posted shortly. Waiting on a front drive shaft as I thew one in the grass and can't locate (I'm sure it'll turn up when I mow the lawn :( ) I've added 5mm of ballpoint pen springs on both ends of the other three drive shafts, as well as halved poly bushings in the cups. That ought to keep them in place...I hope!

Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.