Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tamiya Conversion: 1980's Clod to Bullhead 3 years 2 days ago #66019

Good Day AllI want to convert an 80's Tamiya Clod into a Bullhead...got the body kit, that was the easy part, fits perfectlyBut...the existing electronics are ancient, with the old type crystal ESC... It has a metal box (resister) mounted and attached to the old ESCJust want to upgrade to new receiver and ESC, maybe I don't need to change out the existing steering servos?? One on top of the chassis tray and one below...
Will I need a receiver to accommodate both steering servos?Just want to get it running, and make the body change.Has anyone done this conversion? Or can give me some direction
ThanksAny help would be so much appreciated
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Tamiya Conversion: 1980's Clod to Bullhead 3 years 2 days ago #66023

The clod and the bullhead have only 1 steering servo in the middle of the chassis. For the esc,, Tamiya sold one specific I am sure you could adapt a "big" esc with 2 motors outers

Tamiya Conversion: 1980's Clod to Bullhead 3 years 2 days ago #66024

Yep you can keep your servo's if you want to run them.

If you go for a 2.4g transmitter, the new receiver is included with that.
To run 2 servos on a receiver, you will need a servo Y splitter cable as most receivers have only one port for the steering.
Traxxas have a couple of receivers that has two steering servo output.

I bet yours only has only one steering servo tho, and the second is just moving the mechanical speed controller (MSC) arm.
The resistor with metal cage is what the current goes through on step 1 and 2 on the MSC of the 3 steps.
A new electronic speed controller (ESC for short) replaces both that servo and the MSC including that resistor and metal cage.

Just make sure the new ESC match or have higher motor turn ability than the motors that are fitted, or you plan on fitting.

Hobbywing Quickrun 880 has dual motor wires and are ment to run 2 motors.

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Last edit: by caprinut.

Tamiya Conversion: 1980's Clod to Bullhead 3 years 2 days ago #66027

Capri

I think that you are correct. The top servo has a short rod connected to the MSC.
So...I guess that servo and , of course the MSC can be permanently removed?

I looked into the Hobbywing 880, it looks like exactly what I need. You think that's the way to go?? Not expensive.

It is programmable, with the use of a separately sold "LED Program Card" --$9.00 US...Worthwhile?

Thanks Capri!
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, jord001

Tamiya Conversion: 1980's Clod to Bullhead 3 years 2 days ago #66029

Yep if you don't want to run with MSC, just remove the whole thing with the servo, and replace it with a modern ESC.
And I will highly suggest to also order the program cars, as each setting can make a world of difference for the running performance.
Well worth the coin.

And best part is when you buy another Hobbywing esc, you can use that card on that to if it accept that feature.

But don't throw away that MSC, someone might want that for restoring their project.
Or set it aside if you want to sell it later down the road.

Glad to be able to help 

Richard

Tamiya Conversion: 1980's Clod to Bullhead 3 years 2 days ago #66030

Richard
What can I say...all of the experienced members are always happy to help a lesser knowledgeable member out
It's a great hobby, sometimes obsessive... folks from all over the world have replied to my questions and shared info

So, to All - thanks

michael

Tamiya Conversion: 1980's Clod to Bullhead 3 years 2 days ago #66035

I put my  prog card to the trash. It didn't support the last hot summer :s
if I can advice you, take the prog card with the screen you can trim more things.

Tamiya Conversion: 1980's Clod to Bullhead 3 years 2 days ago #66042

SR63

This is the "card" that HW recommended to make adjustments to the 880 ESC...is this the one that you are talking about??
www.hobbywingdi...=172030922

Attachments:

Tamiya Conversion: 1980's Clod to Bullhead 3 years 2 days ago #66050

Yes it is :y:

Tamiya Conversion: 1980's Clod to Bullhead 3 years 2 days ago #66051

Thank you Sting!!..It's ordered!

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.403 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.