Keyword

TOPIC:

RLine's Countach restoration thread 2 years 11 months ago #66574

Maybe depending of the stock? My lunch box and clod were sold with Johnson motors. 
for the plastic there was 2 versions of the countach. Maybe 1 for the stndard and other for the cs.
There is the same color variation on the holiday buggy rear body posts. There is some black and other like mine grey.
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

RLine's Countach restoration thread 2 years 11 months ago #66575

Good day today.

I finally got my delivery of the Countach. Surprise surprise, the motor with pinion was included although is was not on the pictures and seller could not find it.

So, no need to get a motor and a pinion.
But I was surprised that the motor is a Mabuchi but has a more yellow looking can and a white end bell.
I thought that the 58008 had a silver can 540 with black end bell. 

Can anybody clarify what was the original motor for the 58008? I also noticed that the plastic gear is white and not black. So same question for that.

The first RC Guide Book I picked up confirmed my thinking - anything up to around the Wild Willy (which uses the oversized bearing holder on the black plastic endbell Mabuchi as part of the fitting) would have had a "yellow" (Cadmium passivated), "natural" plastic endbell Mabuchi - the picture for the Countach CS clearly shows one. 

A black endbell Mabuchi wouldn't necessarily be "wrong", you'd have to have a look at the production dates & see if a "late" kit could overlap with kits that "always" used the black endbell 540 - and even the you couldn't be 100% sure as it's only a motor - Tamiya would have quite happily used something visually different if the price was slightly better or there were supply issues.

Can't help you with the gears, the same pic shows a brass pinion but everything else is hidden.

:)
The following user(s) Liked this: RLine, jord001

RLine's Countach restoration thread 2 years 11 months ago #66595

• Al
  • Away
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
That’s an interesting point made by Jonny. I had a look through my catalogues yesterday and all of the cars up to the Rough Rider and Sand Scorcher have white end bell 380 and 540 motors.

I managed to buy a NIP 380 motor recently for a restoration and it’s got a white end bell.
I think that’s just good luck.

I would think as Jonny said at some point the black end bell motor came into Production runs.

So white might be more accurate in terms of early models and what is shown in the Tamiya catalogues, but then again black would be okay as well personally.

RLine's Countach restoration thread 2 years 11 months ago #66643

• RLine
  • RLine's Avatar Topic Author
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Today I made some chassis work. Almost a runner I would say. At least a nice rest of life for my Acoms MK1.  Now the wheels and gear need some refurbish. 
But body will be the biggest challenge. I am more a mechanics that a paint artist..

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001, mirrorman

RLine's Countach restoration thread 2 years 11 months ago #66646

I love it. It already looks fine 

RLine's Countach restoration thread 2 years 11 months ago #66666

• RLine
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Now it looks even better. But one important thing is still missing ;-)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, quattrokid, jord001

RLine's Countach restoration thread 2 years 11 months ago #66667

Yeahh brilliant. 

RLine's Countach restoration thread 2 years 11 months ago #66669

• RLine
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
On thing i noticed are the wrong nuts for the front bumper. Need to switch the brass ones. And rubber bands need to be ordered.

But now my challenge will be the body. And I noticed that many parts are missing like pilot, steering wheel etc. Is there any source of re-pro parts or and parts from any re-re-release?

RLine's Countach restoration thread 2 years 11 months ago #66736

Wow.... that's a great looking chassis ! Well done
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family
The following user(s) Liked this: RLine, jord001

RLine's Countach restoration thread 2 years 11 months ago #66781

• RLine
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
I probably need to switch the MSC. When I bought it there where 2 MSC in the box, so I gave the better one a polish and cleaning and assembled it. But now I noticed that obviously the very early MSC of that design had no tin plating on the contact plates and wires with less diameter. 

Can anybody confirm that? If it is like this I would refurbish the left one to get it as original as possible. The right one in the picture came from a Holiday Buggy which definetly starts with the plated version.

Than I have another topic: I cannot find any spare parts or re-pro part of the add on parts. Any source for those parts or sprue?

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Al, jord001

Last edit: by RLine.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.