Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Tamiya "BigWig" (1986) 13 years 3 months ago #457

HI!... Well I got off work early today and decided to build my servo support. Got it all done. Here's a few pics :

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Tamiya "BigWig" (1986) 13 years 3 months ago #458

HI!... I also decided to try to dye some parts for the 1ST time. It turned out pretty good I think. Here's some before after pics. This batch was dyed all black.

Re: Tamiya "BigWig" (1986) 13 years 3 months ago #459

HI!... Well did a bit of work on the old girl today. Got the rear/front lower "A" arms all JB WELDED up, where they are known to split. Got the backs all sanded down and lightly sandblasted. The fronts are currently curing. Will file those and sandblast then tomorrow. Then I'm going to dye them all black. Also built two brand new gear boxes and running gear. I also ordered a new 20 tooth pinion. Had to modify the rear gearbox to fit it in. Was running a 19 tooth before.

Re: Tamiya "BigWig" (1986) 13 years 3 months ago #460

HI!... Well I got a lot of work done on the aluminum chassis "BIGWIG" today. I got it all put together, minus electronics. I'll work on that tomorrow. Plus I'm still waiting for my 20 tooth pinion to come in for my TEKIN brushless motor.

It's still in bare aluminum. I want to run it for a bit like this and see if anything needs to be modified before I send it out to be powder coated. The local powder coated said he could make it look like it was anodized but it would be powder coating. Thinking of a metallic dark Grey or a metallic anodized looking electric blue. What do you guys think?

Anyway, here's a few pics of what she looks like right now.

Re: Tamiya "BigWig" (1986) 13 years 3 months ago #461

HI!... Well I took the aluminum chassis BIGWIG out for her virgin run last night. Everything went pretty good. She ran straight and true. Handled pretty good. The only thing I had to do was change the valving in the TRAXXAS front/rear shocks and go to a 60 weight oil. I also had to add a few shims to the springs. On hard deceleration the front bars under the front bumper would hit the asphalt and rub. Now they don't. She trapped 61KPH on the radar gun. Can't wait for my 11.1 li-po's to get here so I can try one in the BIGWIG.

Here's a few pics. The body is old. I've got a new one I still have to cut out and paint.

Re: Tamiya "BigWig" (1986) 13 years 3 months ago #462

HI!... Well I bought some new wings for my E-REVO and decided to mount the old one on the "BIGWIG". I'll probably buy a new one to mount on the "BIGWIG" but I wanted to do a mock up 1ST to see how it looked. I trimmed the factory "BIGWIG" built in wing on the body. I used a T-MAX rear bumper mount and drilled two holes in the factory TAMIYA shock mount, and mounted it. It turned out pretty good I think. I think I'll go with a white one when I go to buy a new one.

Here's a few pics :

Re: Tamiya "BigWig" (1986) 13 years 3 months ago #463

HI!... Well while out at the LHS today I picked up a white wing for the "BIGWIG". I mounted it today. Here's a few picks :

Re: Tamiya "BigWig" (1986) 13 years 3 months ago #464

HI!... Well I know it's been awhile but I've been busy working on all my RC vehicles. I up graded the "BIGWIG" to Traxxas Slash 4X4 front/rear shocks with progressive springs. Also installed some black rims/tires off of a Tamiya "Dark Impact". Think it looks pretty good. I just got to order a new ESC/brushless motor due to my TEKIN junk took a crap for the second time.

Re: Tamiya "BigWig" (1986) 13 years 3 months ago #465

HI!... Well it's been a while but I started working on the "BIGWIG" again. Now I swapped out the TEKIN brushless motor and TEKIN ESC. They were junk. Had all kinds of problems with them. I swapped in a HobbyWing 6000KV brushless motor and 60 AMP ESC. Runs good on 2S lipo. Installed a 3S, 5000 mAh lipo this morning and it's crazy fast. Half throttle you punch it and it gets right up on the rear wheels. This is with the lowest setting on punch control. lol!

I started hearing a fun noise and pulled it in. I took the body off and put it on a stand so all 4 wheels were free wheeling. I hit the throttle and I realized the funny noise was the 4X4 driveshaft was getting the "SKIPPING ROPE" effect and arching so much that it was hitting the top of my LIPO battery. Glad I caught it when I did or it would of sliced through my LIPO and caused a good fire.

So I swapped out the differential out drives for some hex shaped ones. Can't remember what Tamiya RC vehicle they came from. lol! I slit them down the middle with a zip blade. I then took a old E-REVO steel center drive shaft and cut it in half and shortened it and re-welded it back together. I have a Kyosho 140MM driveshaft on order. It's 3 times as thick as the stock BIGWIG driveshaft. Hopefully that will cure the problem.

Re: Tamiya "BigWig" (1986) 13 years 3 months ago #466

HI!... Well I got the drive shaft done tonight. Took it for a quick boot down the street. Not a lot of room around my house to take it to top speed. It's very fast, probably around 85KPH. Going to go out to a huge arena parking lot later and see what it will do on the radar gun. Here's a few pics.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.