Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tamiya Avante 2001 QD, using a different remote 12 years 4 weeks ago #8957

Hi

i just recently bought a Tamiya Avante 2001 QD of ebay not realising it was a QD model (lack of pictures on the item)

The car is not supplied with a transmitter but i was wondering whether i could use a different transmitter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Tamiya Avante 2001 QD, using a different remote 12 years 4 weeks ago #8958

Hi

i just recently bought a Tamiya Avante 2001 QD of ebay not realising it was a QD model (lack of pictures on the item)

The car is not supplied with a transmitter but i was wondering whether i could use a different transmitter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Honestly, no idea :( ... but welcome on baord anyway :)

AFAIK the QD cars have a three position switch on both the car and the transmitter to change frequencies ... I think they run on the 27mhz frequencies but the frequency spread I would think would be a lot more "messy" than the usual 6 (+6 "split") frequencies allow for, meaning you can't use a regular transmitter.

I guess your only real option is to find a "correct" replacement transmitter :( ... but wait & see if someone comes alog with a better answer :)

I have seen people remove the "radio" PCB on the car itself & replace it with a "proper" (hobby grade) reciever & Electronic Speed Control, but I'm not sure if there's enough room on a buggy :(

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: Tamiya Avante 2001 QD, using a different remote 12 years 3 weeks ago #8964

the older QD had a single frequency cristal no switch, have a look in the batterie compartment if it looks like this you could try get it working with a 27Mhz transmitter and a set of cristals.

if the electronics are bust you can do what Jonny said and replace it for new ESC, receiver and you probaly have to change the servo too. (the QD servo has the electonics on the ESC/receiver board)

I did the same with a QD clodbuster

Oh and the QD are as every Tamiya gratefull for a handfull of ballbearings ;)

Last edit: by waterbok.

Re: Tamiya Avante 2001 QD, using a different remote 12 years 3 weeks ago #8965

Welcome leonardtb. :)

And thanks waterbok. I'm sure your info award will soon turn gold with posts like this. :y:

Re: Tamiya Avante 2001 QD, using a different remote 12 years 3 weeks ago #8967

Yes! gold award, finally my investments in Tamiya are paying off B)

pitty it isnt really impressing my GF FIANCEE :unsure:
(oops still getting used to it) :cheer:

Last edit: by waterbok.

Re: Tamiya Avante 2001 QD, using a different remote 12 years 3 weeks ago #8968

That's short for your fiancee, right? Women usually prefer real gold over virtual. :lol:

Edit - a simple Google search tells me it's short for girlfriend... :whistle:

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Tamiya Avante 2001 QD, using a different remote 11 years 11 months ago #10140

ok, i was thinking of converting one to brushless so
-you will have to get a servo and pull it aparts and use the board for the steering because the qd bard has everything
-you would have to get a new esc to controll the motor
-and a new transmitter
als i have tried it doesnt work

Last edit: by zephyrin.

Re: Tamiya Avante 2001 QD, using a different remote 11 years 11 months ago #10157

Has the steering servo got 3 or 5 wires? (Never seen a QD....) - If there's only 3 wires, it would probably be possible to plug it into a proper Rx, but you'd need to figure out which wire is which (+, -, & signal).
If there's 5 wires, it's possible to wire them through a board robbed from another servo - 2 of the wires will be your + & -, the other 3 will be from a positioning pot inside the QD servo (On a normal servo, these 3 wires are connected to its positioning electronics board & the whole lot is housed within the servo casing).
I've done both methods on old Nikko 1/16, Radline 1/24 & Kyosho Mini-Z cars.
Another option is to rob the electrics from another "Toy" car, one of a similar size with similar motor & battery voltage. A possible good starting point would be Nikko 1/16 stuff, as their Rx/ESC/steering board has changeable crystals & work with proper 27MHz AM transmitters (Watch you don't get a 40MHz one though!). I can tell you from experience that these boards can cope with a 380 motor & will function on battery voltage 4.8v to 9.6v.
Alternatively, take the easy route & shoehorn in some proper radio, & that's what I'd do if there's enough space.

Re: Tamiya Avante 2001 QD, using a different remote 11 years 11 months ago #10160

this is pretty much how the insides of the first QDs looks like.

Re: Tamiya Avante 2001 QD, using a different remote 11 years 11 months ago #10161

Has the steering servo got 3 or 5 wires? (Never seen a QD....) - If there's only 3 wires, it would probably be possible to plug it into a proper Rx, but you'd need to figure out which wire is which (+, -, & signal).
If there's 5 wires, it's possible to wire them through a board robbed from another servo - 2 of the wires will be your + & -, the other 3 will be from a positioning pot inside the QD servo

yeah theres 5 wires and thats what i mean by: you will have to get a servo and pull it aparts and use the board for the steering because the qd bard has everything

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.