Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: 57501 Rookie Rabbit Restore (RtR) 12 years 22 hours ago #9504

got my ballbearings today so on with the rebuild.

Funny its cheapest to buy the set for the TL01B if you are in need of some 1150s

Servo, just drops in held in place by the lid.

the Lid

the other Lid ;)

Some scuff marks.

Now waiting for a steel 17T .8 pinion to arrive
Also have some rewiring to do on the electronics. :unsure:

P-60N

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by waterbok.

Re: 57501 Rookie Rabbit Restore (RtR) 12 years 18 hours ago #9520

Nice car and great thread pics...that sure was a nice save on the box. Surely whoever sold it knows its old and its possible the buyer could be a collector so why would anyone do that? i think some village must be missing its idiot. :laugh:

Re: 57501 Rookie Rabbit Restore (RtR) 12 years 4 hours ago #9525

Not only did the seller ducktape the rabbit but also threw away the boxes of the Sauber C12 and the Nissan that came with the rookie. (see what the mailman brought thread) :cry: (Thank god the TF evo was without the box and he did not use the manuals as packing paper :whistle: )

Last edit: by waterbok.

Re: 57501 Rookie Rabbit Restore (RtR) 11 years 11 months ago #9547

Surely whoever sold it knows its old and its possible the buyer could be a collector so why would anyone do that? i think some village must be missing its idiot. :laugh:

People outside the hobby are, sadly, so clueless a lot of the time. In the past I've even seen people send NIB kits simply using the kit box (no outer box) and writing the "to" address on the kit box lid in marker pen :sick:

I agree the Rookie Rabbit is an interesting car - it does seem to have quite a few fans - it's a bit odd it that it was only ever an RTR car, rather than as a kit that was later released as an "XB" ...

Yes, but I guess that's coming from the point of view of now, where we have seen several years of Tamiya releasing those "Xpert Built" items...

Wind back to the early 1990s, and the notion of Tamiya releasing a pre-built 1/10 model was a totally new concept for them (a company with a long history of kit-only for 99% of their items). Hence the box calls it "Works Built" - an earlier moniker. The Rookie Rabbit was the only car ever released in this "Works Built" series.

They'd already done some 1/14 Quick Drive models by the time the Rookie Rabbit came out, and the tiny Tamtech series. But back in those days most people who wanted a 1/10 buggy expected it to be a kit, and there were just a few other exceptions out there on the market in the late 1980s or so. So Tamiya were just dipping their toes into this 'RTR' water at that stage.

After the Rookie Rabbit, it would be about a decade or more before Tamiya would start the Xpert Built series. Which suggest the Rookie Rabbit might have actually been a commercial failure.
It's certainly rare enough these day to suggest very few were sold.

Great thread though, and nice to see you taking so much care to restore it to it's original spec :)

cheers,
H.
www.rctoymemories.com - A nostalgia site about vintage and retro radio controlled cars & other toys, from Tamiya, Nikko, Kyosho, Radio Shack and many more.
The following user(s) Liked this: waterbok

Last edit: by Hibernaculum.

57501 Rookie Rabbit Restore (RtR) 10 years 4 months ago #27079

time for some hop ups.

- ballbearings :y:
- sportstuned :y:
- and todays arrival

some HiCaps for the front. :y:
(already have some for the rear end.)

• Page: