Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

My Xmas '13 build: RC10 Classic 10 years 4 months ago #26947

Bought in early June & arriving early October, I've been keeping this to build between Christmas & the New Year :)

The bodyposts supplied in the kit are reputed to be far too short, with owners resorting to posts from other RC10 kits, extra washers, and Tamiya 1150 nylon bearings & so on, so I consulted TB's resident RC10 (and Futaba radio gear ;) ) expeet, HP Freak. Based on what he told me, I machined new posts 31 and 36mm from hole centre to base ... I need to go back & fit the thick Aluminium washers supplied in the kit, once I've done that I'm confident they'll be bang on :y:

Colour match isn't the greatest, but you can see how short the kit posts (one on the far right) are:

I sealed the edges of the shock towers before starting...

Some of the front end needed fettling - 8/32 UNC tap though the threaded chassis holes, and a drill bit through the bottom of the front uprights - initially 1/8", then a bit bigger (9/64" or 3,5mm I think) to account for spring back in the material...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

My Xmas '13 build: RC10 Classic 10 years 4 months ago #26948

I wanted to finish the front end so departed from the order set in the manual ... I like the way the shocks are built up - seals/spacers etc loaded on to a pokey thing, which gets pushed into the bore ... but I don't imagine it makes rebuilds easy :whistle:

I spent a long time working out what bearings were needed (& then ordered them from RCBearings.co.uk) - the numbers needed are exactly the same as the vintage kit, so I could have saved a lot of time there :whistle: Everything fitted fine, apart from the internal bore of one outdrive being a little too small - drifting the bearings in with a flat/round punch did the trick :)

Note the 6 gears in this "6 gear" transmission :whistle: - what looks like a slipper clutch on the top right is in fact the diff ... other than allowing the outdrives to be closer to the bottom of the gearbox (which I don't imagine is really that important), I can't see that this layout really gave any advantages over the later more conventional arrangement...

Gearbox & back end done ...

Re:My Xmas '13 build: RC10 Classic 10 years 4 months ago #26949

Off to a good start. :)

My Xmas '13 build: RC10 Classic 10 years 4 months ago #26951

Wheels assembled & fitted ... motor (despite being 15 years old IIRC) doesn't really look old skool enough so I might have a rootle around for something else...

Basic body shaping done, still need to round corners & sand edges ...

Note untouched driver ...

... cut out ...

... & sprayed white on the outside as primer ...

Body masked for black paint, I also added some masking on the "ears" on the roof after taking the photo:

Black sprayed on + body unmasked:

Body masked for main colour ... TBH I don't particularly like the Camel Yellow that's considered correct for the RC10 - it looks too muddy once it's on the car, so I'm going for full on orange :)

My Xmas '13 build: RC10 Classic 10 years 4 months ago #26952

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
Attachments:

My Xmas '13 build: RC10 Classic 10 years 4 months ago #26964

Nice looking build... well done!

I moved the post of Porsche959Boy to a new thread as it was, to a large extent, unrelated to this thread.
The essence, related to this thread quoted above :)

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

My Xmas '13 build: RC10 Classic 10 years 4 months ago #26970

Driver painted with 2 coats of lots of different colours...

... highlights, lowlights & details ...

... + decals :)

I'm only installing one set of lights, omitting the roof mounted ones as they look very vulnerable...

Body is now very orange ...

... masking peeled off....

... driver installed ...

... & decals stuck on. Running it will have to wait until I've got a old skool Team CRP bumper for the front end; they're easy enough to get, I'd just rather get one from somewhere where import duties & fees won't triple the price :pinch:

My Xmas '13 build: RC10 Classic 10 years 4 months ago #26971

Well I like it, are you happy with it all up JR?
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

My Xmas '13 build: RC10 Classic 10 years 4 months ago #26972

Nice i like the colour B) :y:

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.