Keyword

TOPIC:

Kyosho Javelin Legendary series - 30618 2 years 10 months ago #67276

Hello!

While I'm waiting to restart the Marui Hunter project, I decided to start the build of the Javelin which was sitting under my desk for the last few months...

The opened box is as usual nice and clean. Almost tempted to keep it this way, but that's not possible for me :-D. I'll break some blisters today!

For the small story, the chain is delivered in this kit while it is an option in the Turbo Optima kit (I have the pic of the other box, but as it is planed for later, you can't see it :-D)

Metal parts bag A. We start by the diffs. That's basically when you will have to choose between belt or chain. It will be belt for me, as I intend to use this car with a brushless setup.

Then, we prepare the rear diff box, with the ball bearings...

We add it the diff, the belt and the final gear...

and we close the box...

Next is part metal bag B, and front diff box...

After having closed it, we add the belt channels top and bottom, before adding the wing mount, and to fix the main chassis, the rear plate and the motor protection (and yes, sorry, I forgot a few pics :-/ )

Like with the Turbo Scorpion, the instruction manual is very clear and the elements requiring attention are particularly highlighted... I'll probably spend less time to build it than the Turbo Scorpion, at least because paint will not take much time with this build...

Next steps in some days...
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Kyosho Javelin Legendary series - 30618 2 years 10 months ago #67277

Really nice job so far. 

I always liked Kyosho and my Brother had a nice on road Testarossa. Trouble for us was growing up our Hobby Shop sold mainly Tamiya and Team Associated so we didn't know too much about other brands.

Jim

Kyosho Javelin Legendary series - 30618 2 years 10 months ago #67278

I have the same diff on my nostalgic series. That's crazy that kyosho used them for many of rc . The javelin is my favourite kyosh ep buggy. And the chain transmission....

Kyosho Javelin Legendary series - 30618 2 years 9 months ago #67339

I've restarted few days later. I'm using the diner table, so sometimes I need to wait it to be available as my wife and kids are using it as well for other activities (I like to work with space, and organized myself to be able to put my stuff in place and remove it easily...Metal parts bag C starts.Front guard is installed
and central support for the belt covers
Then installation of the servo saver links
NB: for those building an Optima/Turbo Optima or Javelin, you may want to go further to complete the rods and attach them to the servo saver to ease the servo step which is later in the instructions, as later it will be very much difficult. I take note for when I'll built the Turbo Optima
Then it is time for the front side plates
and the slipper clutch...

The metal parts bag C finish by the upper rods.

Kyosho Javelin Legendary series - 30618 2 years 9 months ago #67340

We continue with Metal parts bag D
Shock stays are joining the chassis as well as the upper rods
At next step, the suspension arms are joining the chassis...
And then we prepare front hubs...
Which join the chassis at next step. The most difficult in this is to put the e-clips in place on the lower link...
And Metal parts bag D is finished...
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Kyosho Javelin Legendary series - 30618 2 years 9 months ago #67341

Bag E starts by tie rods

then it's time for rear hubs...

Which are joining the chassis (again with e-clip)...

Then, we prepare the upper pate and battery holder...

And the chassis really start to shape at the end of bag E.

Last edit: by silvertriple.

Kyosho Javelin Legendary series - 30618 2 years 9 months ago #67342

Time for bag F. It starts by preparing the tools which will be used to mount the shocks and to put in place the shock gaskets (it was the same with the Turbo Scorpion, it's not easy, but after having mounted one set it is definitely easier)
For next step, each time I mount shocks, I'm used to lay down the parts before starting a step...
Then we start by put the shock pistons together and then we prepare next step
and we finish to put the shock pistons together with their ends
And we finally close the shocks
Next comes the springs, and the shocks join the chassis
Next step is the bumper. There is two models in the kit: one small and one large. I put the large one as it reminds me my teenager times...
Next I did change slightly the order if the steps for the electronics...
I started by the steering servo. The link is difficult to put in place. Ideally, this must be anticipated when mounting the servo saver) Then I mounted the RX (I checked with the driver body the position is right). Next is the spur gear... I verified the motor can go there (was having a doubt at that time - see note at the end)
It was time for the lunch, so I did not have a chance to put the ESC in place. I restarted later on in the afternoon.The ESC is a Performa Racing P1, and it is the same as the Kyosho except the color and the price (it is cheaper than the Kyosho one)... It is a fanless ESC, and I put it under the radio plate to help for the cooling. The motor cables will find their place along the rear roll cage

And that closes the bag F. I did not glue the tires yet...Bag G is the final one. it starts by the wheels nut and the setting of the lower roll cages...
At next step, we add the rear roll cage and the wing (which is fixed using two body clips). I added zip ties to secure the motor cables...
Next is the lateral sides of the roll cage...
which joins together at next step..
And here is on the chassis
Next will be stickers, and pilot paintjob. But that won't be today as the weather is not good...Note: The motor guard would be better if a bit smaller (or I did not make it correctly as it is very close to the contacts from the motor)...

Kyosho Javelin Legendary series - 30618 2 years 9 months ago #67343

Changed the motor position, and it's better on the contact side (can't go on the other side, as it would go against the roll cage)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Kyosho Javelin Legendary series - 30618 2 years 9 months ago #67358

Javelin is good looking buggy.
I hope I get one later on.

Nice work!

Kyosho Javelin Legendary series - 30618 2 years 9 months ago #67363

Yes, it's a nice looking buggy. That being said, the more I think about it : I want to add an Optima chain driven and an old school 540 silver can for vintage racing... Taking into consideration the Turbo Optima will be motored with a brushless 10.5T or less and will be definitely belt driven. Only solution would be an Optima or an other Javelin...

But in any case, it's not finished yet. started to work on the paintjob this afternoon.
Primer on the helmet and liquid mask on the driver's body.

Next will be :
  • Driver body - black for around, wheel, and seat
  • Helmet:  not sure yet what color (TS paint)
  • Driver body - gloves and harness - red
  • Helmet liquid mask
  • Helmet decor - another color undefined yet (TS paint) 
  • driver body - white
  • Helmet - driver face
  • Helmet inside
  • Helmet - driver eyes and eyebrows
  • Driver body - black backing
It will be a probably a few set of 5 minutes work at many times within this week and next... Not sure when this will be done, and only oracles know how much my office work will be intensive this week...

If you consider getting a Javelin of a Turbo Optima, don't wait too much before getting one : inventory is limited and next production batches will be next year.(around April if my understanding is correct). The only one easy to source in the Optimas is the Optima itself, which is definitely less iconic than the two others... But bear in mind that if you get one, there is chance you'll get the 3 of them at the end :-D

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.388 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.