Keyword

TOPIC:

Hirobo 44Bs and Zerda :) 7 months 16 hours ago #76788

A nice kyosho.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Hirobo 44Bs and Zerda :) 6 months 4 weeks ago #76802

There was a bot of work to trim the Hilux custom bodyshell, for which there is still a lot of work...

But here is a preview...

I've checked in my parts and I have everything to complete the Zerda, so it may be next, before I get back to the 44B Hilux bodyshell...
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Ducksnuts

Hirobo 44Bs and Zerda :) 6 months 3 weeks ago #76818

The Zerda got its steering servo installed. The motor has been replaced by a Tamiya Torque Tuned, which is going to be largely enough to invoke belt skips with the high flexibility of this chassis...

For the shocks, I have plenty of options, and I just need to decide which one I'm going to use...

I don't plan to use the original tires and rims to run the car (I do have to clean the rims, however). I'll use some Tamiya Off Roader tires (thunder shot): they are very close in spirit from the original tires, and the inside diameter is slightly larger. I will print custom rims within the same design than Zerda original rims and with a different diameter and some rings to avoid gluing tires on the rims...

The custom rims are currently printing...
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63

Hirobo 44Bs and Zerda :) 6 months 3 weeks ago #76823

Rims are printed... As usual, I went for a dual color schema, and it is likely the tires are going to get replaced by printed at some point (run out of resin, I have to reorder some).
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut

Hirobo 44Bs and Zerda :) 6 months 3 weeks ago #76827

Some work on Zerda and 44B for today... And it is clearly slow, because I will not be able to complete that right now as I'm missing some self tapping screws (they are incoming, but it is slower than expected).

Shocks. FOr the Zerda, I decided to reuse some of the Hirobo shocks I have and went for some cleaning using ultrasons...
The Two Zerda Fronts were black, while the others are aluminium (44B). As the black anodization was not good on the 2 front shocks I decided to remove the anodization and used my dremel for this. Beside ultrasonic cleaner and this, there was nothing much I could do, as the o-rings are sealed...

Back on 44B, in my search for 44B rod ends, I found some cheap aluminium ones that could fit. Unfortuntaley, there is too much play involved with those rod ends: That would probably do the job for a shelf car if you don't mind the non ISO build, but for a runner, it's not good...

Then, I remembered that I had a few additional shocks that will be of no use as damaged, but the rod ends are the same than the upper arms on 44B. That will solve one of my problems... I cut a M3x30 screw  to replace the 24mm missing rod, and I was able to put the arms on the 44B. Shock wise, the set up is planned to be the same as the other 44B. I will need to find rods for the steering (they were missing, but I think I have somewhere what I need to solve this).

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Hirobo 44Bs and Zerda :) 6 months 3 weeks ago #76828

Back to Zerda this afternoon... I decided to move forward to see where I could go with the remaining self tapping screws. As said, I'm missing some...

First the radio plate... It adds somewhat rigidity to the flex chassis, and the room around the servo saver is really really tight, as expected...

You may notice I replaced the printed part by a genuine pulley belt cover : the reason is that holes were already in place on the center belt cover, and they are not in good position, and therefore the pulley is rubbing against my printed part. I may review the design for this reason (and it makes it a bit unrealistic to put the file on Cults3D as it works only if the holes are in the right position (and they were user's activity)...

Next I trimed the driver, and I still need to work out the holes position for the driver and the radio plate...

To finish the build, I need to remove the paint from the 3 remaining parts of the roll cage... I've put them with the rims in the magic sauce (aka Glanzer)

And additionally, I'm thinking that Zerda was probably thought at the same time than the 44B chassis... The Pulley Belt cover option with the Zerda manual page is a possible hint, and a second one is the cut in the rear shock tower that really makes sense only in the case of the Zerda (I can't help thinking about those details when building a car, sorry for this :-) )...

We'll have to wait the magic sauce bath to finish in order to finish this car. Still to be done :
- ESC, RX
- Shocks
- Wheels
- driver figure position and paint

Hirobo 44Bs and Zerda :) 6 months 2 weeks ago #76843

Focus is back on the 44B chassis...

First, I decided to do a support super easy to print... Tires are now 1 mm over the ground...

Next  I review the roll bar. The target is to have something that can be used when running (with search lights in a very Marui way). I may do another version more in line with the original one...

This being done, I prepared some cluster for nice MJF prints...

I printed some parts in PLA to be able to check it is good and also to be able to show the bodyshell the way it is... Here is. I need to do some paint next, because here it is too white...

The bodyshell maybe a bit large for a M-chassis, but I'm quite sure it is definitely an option, with extended arms...

Hirobo 44Bs and Zerda :) 6 months 2 weeks ago #76875

This morning I completed the Zerda...

I did a quick run in the living room to set the trims... Clearly the servo saver is touching the upper deck. Similarly to the 44B, the steering angle might not be enough, and it is missing some symmetry (an ackerman would help). The chassis flex is clearly visible when you go from front to back on the remote. It might require to be run tighter to aboid belt skips, and then it would plague the autonomy and life span of the belt... Not sure I'll run this car a lot. Any case, I'll still need to take care of driver's paintjob, but that will be for later...

I may work on the 44B LWB this afternoon, but that might require me to find a specific set of parts I have in one of the box below a pile of boxes behind another pile of box under the desk which is currently not accessible because there is two piles of boxes before it. And I also need to retrieve the Lancia 037 (non 44B) bodyshell that was planned for this chassis (I may need to reorganize this at some point :-) ).

Hirobo 44Bs and Zerda :) 6 months 2 weeks ago #76880

I was full of hope to be able to close the rebuild of the 44B LWB chassis today when starting the afternoon... First, I went to battle with the boxes to extract the two parts I needed for this...

When I received the 037 touring bodyshell from TBG, I did not notice there was a wing with it... And additional parts as well, which I'm not sure where it is supposed to go...

With enlarged arches for the wheels, that should do the job, awaiting I find a 44B City or I decide to buy a 44B Vega bodyshell repro... But at least, this 037 body would be in the spirit of the rare Hirobo Lancia 44B...

I was having some motivation. But them something happened : I still need to mount a motor in this car. And unfortately, the 3 motors I have at hand currently are slightly too large for the right of the gearbox, and it is even worse than on the Zerda, where it was not a new part.
That broke a bit my motivation, I will need to source a 540 silver can urgently...

In the meantime, the 44B Hilux custom bodyshell went for some silver paint... More later or tomorrow...

Hirobo 44Bs and Zerda :) 6 months 2 weeks ago #76881

The 44B Hilux paint is done. Silver, then some darker vinyls for the windows and some black lining around the front window...

I'll have to check original stickers next, they would arrive at some point within the week...

In the meantime, I took some pictures next to the Zerda...

Considering the starting points for both cars, the result is not bad...

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.