• Page:

TOPIC:

How to remove paint from a lexan body 11 years 7 months ago #13060

Found this on YouTube:

I have a few lexan bodies that will benefit from 'Dot 4'
<p>Current projects:</p>

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: How to remove paint from a lexan body 11 years 7 months ago #13062

That body looked pretty cloudy at the end and i noticed the windows had been painted in afterwards perhaps as the shell had clouded so badly? I have tried the brake fluid approach myself with poor results.

Re: How to remove paint from a lexan body 11 years 7 months ago #13064

Yes i'm a bit hesitant to try this, but maybe masking windows and brushing on the fluid may help the windows from being effected? I might try on an old cracked/damaged body for practice!
<p>Current projects:</p>

Re: How to remove paint from a lexan body 11 years 7 months ago #13068

I think there is an unspoken rule for using DOT3 on lexan and DOT4 for ABS, DOT3 apperantly being less agressive.

Re: How to remove paint from a lexan body 11 years 7 months ago #13069

It may take a bit of patience with some paints but brake fluid is usually a good approach. :y:
I had a shell recently that didn't want to budge though...
Another option is to use (Jonny's) Graffiti Remover and even a caustic soda bath works well sometimes.
But one might better try it all out on a small bit first.
I've also found that clouded lexan (the white haze) does not mean that it will show after painting...

Recent lexan experiment
Recent ABS experiment

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: How to remove paint from a lexan body 11 years 7 months ago #13072

This old one again then...
I find that some paints come off quickly with brake fluid (Model enamel comes off in a few hours) whilst others can take days.
As for the clouding, my theory is that the lexan goes cloudy when the original paint is first applied, a reaction to the solvents in it, BUT you can't see the clouding until you remove the paint.
This has come from a few observations - thinners will cloud clear lexan on contact. You can't see clouding once there's paint on. Unpainted areas tend not to be cloudy after removal of paint from the rest of the shell.

We also recently discussed the possibility of modern "lexan" shells being made of clear plastic materials other than polycarbonate, which could be more prone to chemical attack

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.