Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1/10 R/C Jaguar XK120 11 years 2 weeks ago #20555

Hi all
new to this as you will notice , well the forum that is not R/C been into that for 30+ years
Any way thought you might all be interested in the Scratch build 1/10 Scale Jaguar XK120 I have.
I know a man who vacuum forms and he did me some shells and for that matter can do anything around 1/10 scale you give him a picture he turns it into a real thing, amazing!!
As you can see from the pictures its a mash up of my parts bin from Traxxas steering (which incidently confused Otley model sport)to a degostini chassis and running gear.
However I think it works well
Tell me what you all think,plus tell me if you want some thing making, as i have done others from converting a Barbie car 1/9 to a R/C to various others. I dont belive in throwing things away when they break, if you can fix it why not!!

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1/10 R/C Jaguar XK120 11 years 2 weeks ago #20557

Welcome on board, greenplane :y:

I take it your chap is in fact Dreamy Hippo ? Body looks quite good - with some fake louvers, panel lines, fake lights/number plates etc, some paint on the tonneau, maybe some fake bonnet straps, aero screens etc, etc it could look very good indeed.

Driver though ... I bought a couple like that as they were a good match for the car I needed them for - but it does look a bit basic for your XK ... what are the dimensions of the flat area in the bottom of the cockpit? My 1st thought for a more realistic replacement (assuming you cut that area out) was Tamiya's current "4x4 driver" figure - pretty much a complete figure down to the knees with boiler suit, open face helmet & large steering wheel etc - but may be too large & too upright.

Looking at your chassis, will the back end/gearbox go on the other way round (i.e. motor hanging out the back? I just ask as I think it would give you more room to fit a battery lengthwise down the chassis (with RX & ESC on a top deck).

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out :)

1/10 R/C Jaguar XK120 11 years 2 weeks ago #20563

Hi there
thanks for the com,ments , though i never know why people always want their battiries down the chassis, for me its best across as it gives what is a very narrow track stability, as for the motor configuration i was going to mount the motor in the front with prop shaft and gearbox to the rear however i felt as i had this lying about i thought it would be best used. As for man well thats just one again i had about the place.
My Grandfather owned a XK120 back in 1953 one that stirling Moss drove in the irish race, therefore i know a little about the cars, and they didnt have louvres, especially in the Aluminium bodied ones.
Plus i like the clean lines that Dreamy Hippo has done
Mike

1/10 R/C Jaguar XK120 11 years 1 week ago #20578

Nice to read you'd thought about a front engine rear wheel drive with propshaft setup, it's one of my main gripes with Tamiya stuff that the running gear is nothing even similar to the chassis of the car it's supposed to be based on, especially when they put so much effort into getting the bodies to be scale replicas.

Driver - the styrene figures can be bent to shape to fit seats/cockpits, just heat them up gently at their natural joint positions & give them a tweak.

Love a bit of modding (Re Barbie car), done loads like that myself!
Have a look at my modded XR311 & 25th carbon racer projects, I think they'll be right up your street!

1/10 R/C Jaguar XK120 11 years 1 week ago #20655

:) the frame looks like the trinity street spec one. :y:
nice car

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.