Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Rust and fading paint, the hairspray method 10 years 7 months ago #24842

So, part 2 of my tips and tricks, if this isn't in the right place or just not usefull at all just let me know mods, no problem!

About 25 years ago i started out as a military modeller, after visiting some off the world greatest modellers (no internet in those days :) ) i was aked to do some demo's on modellingshows and meetings, mostly about painting and weathering and the then new tool, the airbrush.
At one off those meetings i met a guy from belgium who was fiddling around with a technique new to modelling, using hairspray :blush:
Whe met a weekend later and started trying, improving, drinking beer and try again, finally whe more or less perfected the method, it's been copied many times and every modeller gave it it's own twist, these days it's nothing like whe thought it should be, evolution in modelling, and thanks to the www whe could experiment and have results faster, improving eachother.

Since then i made many models in rust or fading paint for which this technique is good for, and people always wanna know, how do you do it?
Well, here is how, for a experienced modeller it's doable, for newbees i would say, try out first, don't start with your car the first time.

You need a airbrush, a good one, let's say from Badger up to better, no chinese knockoffs, they aren't any good, for paint you need Tamiya acrylics, the little XF jars (F stands for flat) it's the only paint which can stand this kind of torture and stand the test of time.
You need clear acryl laquer, any brand as long it isn't Tamiya, i use Vallejo mostly.
For effect you can use course kitchen or seasalt, yes salt :blink: and not to forget, the haurspray, any regular type will do.

As a example i have some Wriath panels, i made my Wraith in a kind of 'after the apocalypse' theme, burned and battle scared.

First off i prepared the panels, sanding, then primer and matt black, nothing new there, i gues i don't have to explain the use off primer or why you can't do without.
After the black (which is used as backing) i painted the panels in a mix of rusttones and flat aluminium, after drying i gave it a layer of satin clear, make sure everything is sealed:

After the clear is dry spray on a liberal ammount of hairspray, for some different effects i used salt also, just let it fall down on the wet hairspray, but you don't have to use salt, it's just what kind of effects you want:

The hairspray will turn flat within 10 minutes, now it's time for the last paint, in this example panzergrau or panzergrey:

Now it's time for the magic, use a old stiff brush and luke warm water and start taking off the paint, don't be afraid to overdo it, you can give it another layer and do it again, and it's also personal taste offcourse:

If you like the result let it dry, seal everything with flat finish, if you like you can do more effects or staining, even dusting, if you thin Vallejo modelpaint down it will dry up dusty, and in a way you can touch it, some use pigments but they end up on your fingers when handling your RC model :blush:

There's no end to what you can do with this method, i will put some examples of finished models in a post following this to give you a idea!

Hope it's usefull, Cheers Rick
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Rick vS.

Rust and fading paint, the hairspray method 10 years 7 months ago #24843

Great stuff, thanks for posting it. :y:

Rust and fading paint, the hairspray method 10 years 7 months ago #24845

Some examples of the results you can get:

The Wraith finished with Psycho Willy, some bulletholes for fun:

In 'normal' modelling (but what's normal anyway :blink: )

Faded paint Blackfoot:

Billy Joe Bob's moonshiner:

Pumpkin Wrecker:

Faded Hilux:

Faded paint and paintchips, thinned down Vallejo for rusteffects, scratchbuild 8x8:

Rescued from the trash and a new life as old truck, for a mate:

Tamiya panzer in progress, dusted, stained and chipped with Vallejo over Tamiya paint:

Scratchbuild Rodgers tanktrailer, hairspray first on the top, then Vallejo dusteffect:

For a mate, a old Wrangler got a new life as well used trialstomper:

My Mustang TRF416 drifter, inspired by the last Shelby in gone in 60 seconds, hairspray and dusteffect under the lost rearbumper:

Hope it helps you guys to make nice things, if you try this method you will see it isn't that difficult, just try!!

Cheers Rick

Rust and fading paint, the hairspray method 10 years 7 months ago #24847

:woohoo:
THE ARTIST!!!!!!

Rust and fading paint, the hairspray method 10 years 7 months ago #24852

Fabulous!

Rust and fading paint, the hairspray method 10 years 7 months ago #24855

Thanks guys, nice you like it, but the purpose of the topic is that most of you can do the same thing, so if you wanna have a go and have some questions, fire away!
The following user(s) Liked this: hollowman

Rust and fading paint, the hairspray method 10 years 7 months ago #24859

Wow.. Such a simple process.. I think I'll be trying this for one of my upcoming projects.. Thanks for the tips.. ;)
Current Project: The Dylan Project Grasshopper

My Projects in the works: The Fighting Frog, The Restoration of my Fox, Back in the Day Blackfoot Racer, The JRX-2's, Yokomo YZ-10's of fury x3

I'm not a Re-re yet!

Rust and fading paint, the hairspray method 10 years 7 months ago #24860

Faded paint Blackfoot:

Nice work, very dark colours though, Mad Max style? :) The Mustang I like :y:

I'm also curious with the Black foot, the body looks lowered :huh: How did you manage this? Brat style mounts?
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Rust and fading paint, the hairspray method 10 years 7 months ago #24865

I don't have a pic ready from it, put it's done with homemade aluminium posts with Velcro, with ABS bodies i always try to plug the holes.

Rust and fading paint, the hairspray method 10 years 7 months ago #24868

I've seen most of the pics before but still amazed. :blink:

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.