Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hemmt 8x8 project 10 years 7 months ago #24893

Hi Guys,

It's a finished build but still i like to share it with you, maybe it can give you ideas and it won't overload my showroomspace :huh:
The thing i do the most in RC is scale and trials, i have build many scaletrucks, mostly american pickups using Mr.T 's Ford & Chevy bodies but there's only so much you can do with it, i wanted to build a 8x8, which could also could perform on the trials.
My first attempt was not bad but it wasn't good either, 2 Manta Ray's less on the world and the independent suspension just doesn't work, it could turn in 2 sections over the length, to complicated to work in the right way.

My first try, nice for a smooth surface, but as a trialer no good:

So my second try, it needed to be heavier (for a realistic drivelook) and it needed to get a better drivetrain, the pic speaks for itself i guess, just straight forward build up.
The parts used: 2 Losi Crawler trannies, Junfac driveaxles, 4 TLT axles, in the rear with aluminium straighteners, and 2 Savox servo's, the second axle turns in about 75% of the first one:

For the body i was inspired by the Hemmt trucks used in the Batman movies, but i wanted to give it my own twist, like it was bought from the armydump and now was in use for a salvageyard:

Start of a basic interior:

The roof can slide off, underneath are the wingnuts which keep the body in place:

Just for looks, a 5t crane:

Build up of the bed, the grey stuff is thinned down putty to get the most out of weathering:

Here's why, with the earlier explained hairspraymethod, some welding also, always a nice touch when you weather the bed:

Painted interior:

First testrun in the garden:

Bringing some life into it:

A trailer with a Gephard for haulin'around:

Than you end up with 1,4 meter RC, well it's out of my system now, :-)

Hope you like it and inspire you to build wacky stuff! Thanks for watching, Rick
The following user(s) Liked this: achmedachmed

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Rick vS.

Hemmt 8x8 project 10 years 7 months ago #24900

OMG, that is fantastic! I once thought the same to scratchbuild a HEMMT or the Russian version, but buying the much needed expensive axles made me but this idea in the refrigerator.

Maybe one day I will make a 1/14 2 axle Dutch Citybus.

That tanktrailer looks awsome! did you build it youself? never seen something like that before. From which period does that one come, WW2 of Vietnam?

Feraz

Hemmt 8x8 project 10 years 7 months ago #24901

Wow,

That's an awesome project and the end result is just fantastic !
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family

Hemmt 8x8 project 10 years 7 months ago #24902

Hi Feraz,

Yes it really did excist, it was the Rodgers trailer, early WW2, it was replaced by the M25 (Dragon Wagon) but the Rodgers could take so much abuse and overload that it kept being used, in some rare cases even today!
Fun thing about it is that everybody who used it adapted it to their needs, creating all kinds off versions in the process.

It's scratchbuild, with 24 Tamiya truckwheels, some extra pics:

The real thing, a Dutch Army version form after the war:

Thanks guys, hope it gets you to build stuff to, once started it isn't that difficult, Cheers Rick
The following user(s) Liked this: achmedachmed

Hemmt 8x8 project 10 years 7 months ago #24904

:woohoo: We are in presence of a killer! A so nice level of built is amazing!
They are the best builds I seen!
RESPECT man! Like scale casts. :silly: :blink:

Hemmt 8x8 project 10 years 7 months ago #25223

Thanks! for the pictures of that trailer. You even made the chassis yourself. Once I got some blue prints and a whole lot of styrene I will start a scratch build 1/14 Daf Citybus :D. But the chassis will be close to the original Tamiya truck design.

Cheers
Feraz

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.