Keyword

TOPIC:

Santacruz' Sand Scorcher 8 years 10 months ago #35012

Thats coming on really well Jon :) , still looking for that upright :blink:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Santacruz' Sand Scorcher 8 years 10 months ago #35016

Another rainy day, so made some more progress...

Radio box/motor cover plastics (once clean/oil free) looked very flat & cloudy ...

... but after sanding & polishing:

Underside of chassis brace was a bit scratched up:

... looks much better after sanding (although I'll probably fit it the other way up for the original finish):

Round aluminium bits after refinishing:

I've cleaned up the MSC & prepared for soldering, I thought I'd post the state of the motor connections though :blink:

Rough Rider rims given a bit of a tickle:

Old rubber bits socking in Glycerol:

:)

Santacruz' Sand Scorcher 8 years 10 months ago #35023

Gee those rims cleaned up well, are you planning on adding the outer ring again? I've seen some bad soldering but :sick:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Santacruz' Sand Scorcher 8 years 10 months ago #35034

On balance the wheels are best left as they are now - if I had a sacrificial 2nd pair of wheels in the same size & same colour plastic I could cut a section out of, glue on & machine back I'd attempt it, but I don't & would have to do it in white - which means painting them... In that case they wouldn't match the fronts, so I'd have to paint them too - only I can't because they'd never come apart without destroying the tyres (boiling notwithstanding).

Santacruz' Sand Scorcher 8 years 10 months ago #35036

Did you get the PM regarding the front springs Jon?

Santacruz' Sand Scorcher 8 years 10 months ago #35037

Yes but I've been busy in the shed: all the pot metal bits after ultrasonic cleaning:

And after blasting with recycled glass grit:

It took just as long to empty the tank, hoover it out & put the fancy glass micro beads in (to polish/peen them back to the factory look), so that bit will have to wait for another day.

Attachments:

Santacruz' Sand Scorcher 8 years 10 months ago #35038

The result is very nice :y:

Santacruz' Sand Scorcher 8 years 10 months ago #35061

Sent you a pm Jon.

Santacruz' Sand Scorcher 8 years 10 months ago #35063

Indeed :) To recap - this is why i don't want to use the existing bumper, "as is" it will I think let the side down ...the other hand I don't _know_ that it's going to disintegrate if I try to get the nasty black paint off (and the red underneath), I just think it's extremely likely:

This is your old one (top) and a Fighting Buggy re-re bumper (bottom), other than not being bent, damaged/in immediate danger of falling apart, the new one (from my spares box) is identical - apart from the text, hidden when fitted: on the original it reads "RC RACING BUGY (sic) MADE IN JAPAN" & on the re-re, well you can see it's different:

In other news, the pot metal parts have been back in the blasting cabinet for glass micro bead treatment + a quick scrub & are now as close to the factory finish as I can make them :

edit - I've also done the MSC/motor rewiring/soldering, but didn't take a photo as it's so boring.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Santacruz' Sand Scorcher 8 years 10 months ago #35064

Good grief those parts look impressive Jon very impressive :blink: , thanks for explaining the bumper, re re will look awesome :) .

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.