Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

cutting polycarbonate bodies 12 years 4 months ago #4778

well i think they are polycarbonate,
after priming up the hornet shell i can see now how badly the previous owner cut out the body shell.
what is the best way to trim them up so they look right,scissors,stanley knife, dremmel ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: cutting polycarbonate bodies 12 years 4 months ago #4779

I have some special lexan scissors - with a bend at the tip.
Finer details (edges) I do with sandpaper...

Re: cutting polycarbonate bodies 12 years 4 months ago #4782

so surgical scissors should work ok then? quite small and accurate. knife blades and dremmel sounds like a recipe for disaster :S

Re: cutting polycarbonate bodies 12 years 4 months ago #4786

To fine tune the edges I use sandpaper as Edou says.
Dremel is likely to melt the polycarbonate.

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: cutting polycarbonate bodies 12 years 4 months ago #4787

I mark up the outside of the shell with a fine permanent marker to be very clear on where the cut lines are, then do a very rough cut with aviation snips to get off the extra, flat bit on the bottom, leaving at least 5mm from where the final cut will be ...then use straight scissors for the straight bits, and curved ones for the curves, sanding straight edges with wet & dry & a block, curved bits with a large, fine sanding drum in a Dremel at minimum speed - it doesn't _have_ to be an aggressive tool ;)

Re: cutting polycarbonate bodies 12 years 4 months ago #4788

they have been pre cut, just very badly, some places i can get away with sanding down. others will need either scissors or a dremmel me thinks

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.