Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

"Smoke" 12 years 2 months ago #6972

Good evening guys,

I have a question about the so called "smoke" paint for creating the tainted glass effect on the windows of the car. I never used it before on any but i tend to use it on my resored Wild Dagger. Do you just spray one layer of it on the windows or just like normal paint several layers??
Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Bram
Restoring Countach 58005
Restoring 58015 RR
Restoring 58098 F40
Restoring King Cab and Monsterracer
Restoring Audi Quattro rally
Restoring Mk.1 Sand Scorcher
Restoring Porsche 936

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: "Smoke" 12 years 2 months ago #6974

you can buy self adhesive A4 sheets of vinyl in various shades of smoke on ebay. maybe an option :)

Re: "Smoke" 12 years 2 months ago #6988

I was just about to suggest the same thing.... They also do proper stuff (Much thinner & stickier) for real cars. Bubbles can be difficult to avoid though.
Maybe "Waterslide" decal sheet might work better (Cos it's much thinner) + you could print any colour you liked.
Haven't used the spray tint, but I'm guessing it could be difficult to get an even enough coverage to not get dark/light patches - try it on an old CD case first

Re: "Smoke" 12 years 2 months ago #6997

I've never sprayed a "smoke" colour, but I can't see why it would be any more difficult than other clear colours ... but they are tricky - colour is very dependant on paint thickness, so any variations, let alone runs or sags are very obvious ... if you do want to have a go, I found for exterior surfaces the trick seems to be to put down a couple of very thin coats on so, at a microscopic level at least, the paint is "pimpled" ... then spray a heavy coat to wet it all over - and experience in guessing just how far you can wet it without it running.

For interior surfaces though, I guess you could just keep putting on very light coats until you get an even shade.

If in doubt though, as already suggested, I'd go the tinted film route & apply it on the outside, wet. Check out this for putting on decals with soapy water - the principle is the same for any self adhesive vinyl. Just make sure everything is scrupulously free of dust :)

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: "Smoke" 12 years 2 months ago #7001

car window tints are the best and easiest to apply but they only come in big rolls.
however if you go to your local window tinting outlet they usually keep a box full of off cuts from previous jobs. ask them if you can have a look through and pick out the colour you want. if they charge you at all,it will only be a couple of quid

Re: "Smoke" 12 years 2 months ago #7004

Jonny, your soapless link doesn't seem to work... :(
This should be very useful to get the air out from underneath without scratching anything - a bent cue tip :

Photo was borrowed from TG member 4wd4ws
Attachments:

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: "Smoke" 12 years 2 months ago #7008

Jonny, your soapless link doesn't seem to work... :(...

Spooky. I think I've fixed it now.

Re: "Smoke" 12 years 2 months ago #7010

Thanks, works now. I was getting curious... :y:
And I misread - it's the opposite of soapless. :whistle:

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.