Keyword
Please take care when trading with people you don't know personally. To safeguard yourself as much as possible do/check the following:
- check the other party's ebay feedback (check his profile on TB, or ask for ebay ID) Send them an email through ebay to make sure.
- ask for references at this forum.
- check the members status on TB. Is this his first and only post or an experienced/well known member?
- Only pay through a secure payment provider, like Paypal. Make sure you pay for an item, not for a Service, as a Gift or other types of payment.
- Exchange real names and telephone numbers up front, and check them out.
- only offer shipping with full online tracking.
TamiyaBase.com is not a party in trades made on the basis of this site. Buyer and seller are sole responsible for their trades and for working out a safe way of payment and delivery.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

MK1 SRB gear case (left hand side) 11 years 7 months ago #14047

I'm looking for a LHS (the side with the motor) gear case for the early Rough Rider/Sand Scorcher SRBs with the separate bumper mounting lugs (known as Mk1 type).
I don't mind a few scratches, but it should be intact.
Also, the plastic spur gear cover and motor end cover for the same.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: MK1 SRB gear case (left hand side) 11 years 6 months ago #14066

You made the decision to replace rather than repair then?

Re: MK1 SRB gear case (left hand side) 11 years 6 months ago #14074

I guess this restoration bug rubs off :P
I picked up the RHS for a reasonable price already. I thought in for a penny...

However, it will not be box-art...
Seeing as I don't have many original parts, I have an idea of building a Sand Scorcher how I would have liked it to be when I was younger if I'd had the money and patience, using original parts and bolt-on hop ups.
I fancy the RadshapeRC chassis and maybe some RC Channel stuff.
I already have some bits of a Superchamp rear bumper and coil-over rear shocks (although I was wondering if modern CVA shocks could be made to fit, front and rear).
I'll probably use a Kamtec radio box and Baja shell (although there is a Superchamp radio tray on the bay now.... :whistle: )

It will probably end up costing more that it will be worth, but I'll just have to sell more stuff.

Last edit: by Martin Bell.

Re: MK1 SRB gear case (left hand side) 11 years 6 months ago #14076

As much as I moan about the uselessness of SRBs, there are fun to drive (Whilst still in one piece!) & if you already know it's not gonna be a shelfer, then why not build a retro-modern runner? I'd love to do something like that, but never seem to have the spare cash - wretched collectors driving prices up....

Yes, like you say, some modern non-leaky shocks & maybe lightweight/GRP chassis parts.
I'd also address the quick-release front arms & lack of proper servo fixings.
A diff would be nice, & I'd definately have to keep the waterproof radio box, albeit modified to reposition the battery outside of it (To avoid the "cooking" issue). Not sure whether or not I'd go for a hot motor though - open endbells don't really work with the motor cover, & some are a bigger diameter & just won't fit in the hole.

I'd also considered coming up with some different back suspension, to be more representative of the VW based buggies the SRB is supposed to be based on

Re: MK1 SRB gear case (left hand side) 11 years 6 months ago #14089

...why not build a retro-modern runner?...

That's kind of what I had in mind. I get the mag "Retro Cars" for 1:1 cars and that's full of 60's and 70's metal with modern turbo engines and the like. I haven't the space or money for a 1:1 classic, so I want to recreate one in 1:10 scale :)

Since my scorcher is a genuine MK1, it seems a shame to detract from that by buying a re-re gearbox, however I'm not going to be too badword about that.
I'd also like any upgrades to be reversable. Other than that, anything goes.

I had an idea about swapping the front arms left-to-right and top-to-bottom. This would place the bosses for the shocks on the top arms and help with the issue of the cups popping out. This would probably mean higher front mounts would be needed, but I have seen pictures of extended bolt-on mounts - anyone know what these are?

I think these modern cars handle too well. I ran my TRX-3 at the weekend and although it is nearly 20 years old, it is still considerably more modern than an SRB. It goes around corners like it is on rails and is very difficult to slide. It could be argued that it needs more power, but that just means you are going faster when you crash.

Re: MK1 SRB gear case (left hand side) 11 years 6 months ago #14113

Sound like a man with similar ideas to me....

Front arm fixes - normal one is to tie top & bottom together with nylon tie-wraps, but another "neat" option would be to replace the balls with through-hole type, so you could use screws + washers, set through the plastic arm bushings.

As for "going faster WHEN you crash", I've said that sooo many times about modern bikes!

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.