Keyword
Please take care when trading with people you don't know personally. To safeguard yourself as much as possible do/check the following:
- check the other party's ebay feedback (check his profile on TB, or ask for ebay ID) Send them an email through ebay to make sure.
- ask for references at this forum.
- check the members status on TB. Is this his first and only post or an experienced/well known member?
- Only pay through a secure payment provider, like Paypal. Make sure you pay for an item, not for a Service, as a Gift or other types of payment.
- Exchange real names and telephone numbers up front, and check them out.
- only offer shipping with full online tracking.
TamiyaBase.com is not a party in trades made on the basis of this site. Buyer and seller are sole responsible for their trades and for working out a safe way of payment and delivery.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

If you find this... let me know!!! 11 years 6 months ago #14246

For my Porsche 959 restore, I'm looking for 'Parts C'
<p>Current projects:</p>
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by larbut. Reason: moved to correct category

Re: If you find this... let me know!!! 11 years 6 months ago #14273

Weld it up using the soldering iron method?

Re: If you find this... let me know!!! 11 years 6 months ago #14307

That's a thought... haven't soldered plastics before. :y:
<p>Current projects:</p>

Re: If you find this... let me know!!! 11 years 6 months ago #14315

Its not that hard, I've repaired a hornet chassis this way, just behind the front upper suspension arm. Just remember not to sniff the fumes. You can also practice on sprue to get a feel for how fast it melts and flows, and also use extra sprue to fill gaps or melt into large cracks, a bit like solder.

Re: If you find this... let me know!!! 11 years 6 months ago #14366

Don't get the plastic too hot though, as it will make it brittle - Use a clean soldering iron tip, a low wattage soldering iron (15w is best, you can get away with 25w if you're careful), heat the plastic JUST enough to melt it. If you heat it too much, it'll start to look "wet", which is bad, a sign that the "plasticiser" (The stuff that makes the plastic not-brittle) is being forced out.

Although this part's probably too small for my normal method, what I usually do is to run the soldering iron tip edge-on along the crack to form a "root weld", then use the flat of the tip to fold molten plastic into the groove from either side, or like Yogi said, use sprue of the same material as "filler rod".
Be aware that you can only join plastics of the exactly same type, so doing things like fixing polyethylene Holiday Buggy bodies with bits of ABS sprue just aint gonna work.... To check for material type, find the recycling mark.

Safety tip - don't breath the fumes. Don't touch the molten plastic (Cos it will stick to you & burn) or anything that looks burnt/sooty - some plastics give off some pretty nasty chemicals when heated (eg see COSHH on Hydroflouric acid).

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.