Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: List of boneheaded design/flaws 11 years 9 months ago #10702

58080 Astute - Way too fragile and complex rear suspension (for racing), causing racers to replace with Madcap parts.
58072 Avante and 58085 Avante 2001 - Way too complex models, known for breaking anything during racing.

Ta again - even even they do sound a bit "internet myth"-ish ;)

I know.. :blush: but I have "Retro Raced" the Avante 2001 myself for a couple of years, and hardly completed a race due to breakdowns! :dry: (could be the driver, though...)
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: List of boneheaded design/flaws 11 years 9 months ago #10703

58027 Ford F150 Range - One could add: On mk.1 models of the Ranger the front wheels touched the rear of the wheel arch when turning. (hence the redesign of the mk.2 body)
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.

Re: List of boneheaded design/flaws 11 years 9 months ago #10704

58047 Hot Shot
58054 Super Shot
58062 Hotshot II
- Impossible to access radio gear without dismantling the model.

Re: List of boneheaded design/flaws 11 years 9 months ago #10705

58001 Porsche 934 - "Dual MSC" for no apparent reason, very flexible chassis, ridiculous fragile body.
58002 Porsche 935 - Very flexible chassis, ridiculous fragile body

Last edit: by larbut.

Re: List of boneheaded design/flaws 11 years 9 months ago #10706

84132 TA05-VDF - Has CVD chatter at full lock,rear belt rubs on motor and very small space for ESC and rec.

( Please note that mite not be the part number as I got the first lot of the chassis,Tamiya have since released 3 other batches. )

-Jeremy
Team Bad Attitude

Re: List of boneheaded design/flaws 11 years 9 months ago #10717

Wouldn't it be easier to list the cars that DON'T have stupid design flaws? Leaves just one, doesn't it Jonny?
Falling about laughing at the list! - yep having tried to race 3x SRBs, I can safely say they're not up to it - if you ignore the poor handling & weight, you're still gonna be faced with the trail of aluminium fally-offy bits mixed with puddles damper oil & to be honest they're a bit of a fire hazard too!
Lars, you forgot to mention the other Hilux issues eg the laughable get-around for lack of telescopic prop shafts, the self loosening 4x4 transfer gear that wrecks gearboxes & the auto-tearout axle ends/hubs

Re: List of boneheaded design/flaws 11 years 9 months ago #10720

Wouldn't it be easier to list the cars that DON'T have stupid design flaws? Leaves just one, doesn't it Jonny?...

You mean your favourite TL-01? How about:

- 24 bearing drivetrain sucks a lot of power
- narrow & top heavy chassis
- limited pinion gear choice & awkward motor access (though that's hardly unique :whistle: )
- battery very vunerable, plus the gaps fill with dirt & make it very difficult to remove

?

;)

Re: List of boneheaded design/flaws 11 years 9 months ago #10724

58070 Midnight Pumpkin - Flimsy plastic body posts break every time it rolls, which is often due to its wayward handling... High centre of gravity, crazy bump steer, front tyres rub on shell, front end geometry changes radically with suspension travel and the little springs which are supposed to control the live rear axle always break. Also hard to drive while constantly laughing!!!

Re: List of boneheaded design/flaws 11 years 9 months ago #10727

58070 Midnight Pumpkin - Flimsy plastic body posts break every time it rolls, which is often due to its wayward handling... High centre of gravity, crazy bump steer, front tyres rub on shell, front end geometry changes radically with suspension travel and the little springs which are supposed to control the live rear axle always break. Also hard to drive while constantly laughing!!!

Yep, I think I'd agree with all of that ... except for the body posts, it's not _every_ time, just a lot :D ;)

Re: List of boneheaded design/flaws 11 years 9 months ago #10728

G'day! I would like to add the following as a former Service Manager for Tamiya Importers in Australia:
58050 Wild One- badly shimmed differential
58055 Boomerang- steering rack jams if driving in mud
58059 Porsche 959- restrictive/ clumsy motor mounting system, fragile polycarbonate body
58061 Striker- weak chassis snaps upon frontal impact
58071 Sonic Fighter- same as Striker!
58079 Egress- weak front shock tower
58081 Nissan King Cab- flimsy rear arms, dogbones pop out, fragile polycarbonate body
58082 Madcap- plastic motor plate melts/ warps
58083 Saint Dragon- same as Madcap!
58086 Hilux Monster Racer- flimsy rear arms, dogbones pop out
58097 Super Astute- fine pitch gears prone to stripping, useless polycarbonate gear cover
58116 Dyna Storm- front arms protrude below chassis and wear hinge pin/ lose "e" clips, weak outdrives on first issue kits
All Tamiya cars- Tamiya battery plugs!

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.