Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: List of boneheaded design/flaws 11 years 9 months ago #10780

Specially for eddrick ;) :

58201 Toyota Celica GT-FOUR '97 Monte-Carlo - Overused & totally charmless TL01 chassis; 24 bearing drivetrain sucks a lot of power, narrow & top heavy chassis, limited pinion gear choice & awkward motor access (though that's hardly unique), battery very vunerable, plus the gaps fill with dirt & make it very difficult to remove
58219 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo Monte-Carlo - ditto
58222 Pick-Up Truck Ford SVT F-150 Lightning - ditto
58228 Ford Mustang Cobra R - ditto
58233 Castrol MUGEN NSX - ditto
58237 Lexus IS 200 - ditto
58251 LEXUS GS 400 - ditto
58255 Calsonic Skyline GT-R (R34) - ditto
58260 Mercedes-Benz CLK DTM 2000 Team D2 - ditto
58263 Opel V8 Coupe - ditto
58264 Castrol Tom's Supra 2000 - ditto
58273 Subaru Impreza WRC 2001 - ditto
58277 Subaru Impreza WRC 2001 (pre-assembled Body) - ditto
58283 Porsche 911 GT3 Cup "VIP" - ditto
58287 Nissan 350Z - ditto
58289 Ferrari 360 Modena Challenge - ditto
58293 Beams Integra - ditto
58296 CLK-DTM 2002 AMG-Mercedes - ditto

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: List of boneheaded design/flaws 11 years 9 months ago #10781

Well done on 1500 posts!

BTW, do I need to keep an eye on you and eddrick? :P
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: List of boneheaded design/flaws 11 years 9 months ago #10790

Well done on 1500 posts!

Indeed, Hog Heaven for Jonny! :cheer:

Re: List of boneheaded design/flaws 11 years 9 months ago #10796

Er, I'm not that way inclined Lars, so I suspect you're out of luck on the peeping front!
Yep, I totally agree with you over those minor flaws Jonny, but after all, it IS a Tamiya. I'm just saying it's probably one of their better efforts, which is probably what makes it so charmless & without character. Not my favourite car by any means, but if I want to go out for an uninterupted play, that's the car I'll take (Or the HSP).
Has anyone mentioned the anti-drive diff in the Kingcab yet? - that used to infuriate me!

Re: List of boneheaded design/flaws 11 years 9 months ago #10800

Well done on 1500 posts!...

TY :) All that double, triple, and quadruple posting has finally paid off :D ;)

... BTW, do I need to keep an eye on you and eddrick? :P

I don't see why ... We're just following that venerable English (and Australian) tradition of "taking the badword" :) :y:

Re: List of boneheaded design/flaws 11 years 9 months ago #10842

Here are some additional issues for the Super Champ:

Steel steering links will bind and bend their 2mm screws under normal movement.
Radio tray wears holes in rubber bags quickly.
Zip-ties holding back rear arms breaks easily.
Too stiff rear spring makes the rear end bouncy.
Rear spring arms breaks easily after enough banging from shocks/zip-ties or from stress when inserting the shock screws.
Direct mount Racing Speed Controller wears fast and generates radio interference.

I know I replaced the speed controller twice back in the days because of malfunction and interference problems. Of course I broke couple of rear arms too, but that is just "the material", as with the spring arms.
Also one front lamp broke off during the first run, but one of two is probably not important B)

Last edit: by Notch.

Re: List of boneheaded design/flaws 11 years 9 months ago #10916

Ah yes, SRBs & radio interference.... It's not just the Super Champ, or just the speed controller - any metal-on-metal movement causes radio interference, which 27AM is most prone to. Most of my most spectacular SRB crashes (+ spontaneous disassembly from brick wall interfacing) was a result of radio glitching.
The most hilarious cause was that of the springy metal aerial springing about! (Ding or rub it with a screwdriver or similar, to see what I mean)
Needless to say, I was similarly amused when Shengqi released their 1/5th Hummer spark-ignition IC car with 27AM radio in it!
Although I've never seen it, I suspect the story would be similar for the Hilux etc.
Back to speed controllers in SRBs - they get frighteningly hot inside that radio box, which often leads to servo tape releasing & electrical shorts

Re: List of boneheaded design/flaws 11 years 9 months ago #10922

58032 Tornado and 58033 Ford C-100: Tamiya's recommendation to curl up the receiver antenna wire and solder it to the steel antenna in the kit.
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: List of boneheaded design/flaws 11 years 9 months ago #10924

Thanks for all the contributions, chaps - I'll add them in at some point :)

I can add a couple more for the Bigwig: chassis often breaks forward of the fake engine, floppy bathtub puts strain on battery cover ("sub chassis") breaking the hooks off; - and clarify one: rack & pinion slows steering & limits lock.

Re: List of boneheaded design/flaws 11 years 9 months ago #10935

58070 Midnight Pumpkin - as Lunchbox (Jonny Retro) Flimsy plastic body posts break every time it rolls, which is often due to its wayward handling... High centre of gravity, crazy bump steer, front tyres rub on shell, front end geometry changes radically with suspension travel and the little springs which are supposed to control the live rear axle always break. Also hard to drive while constantly laughing!!! (vara351)

This is fixed with the upgrade to the Tamiya oil shocks. So much so, That I now run a 13.5 turn brushless in mine, and she handles beautifully. Well, she won't win any Gymkana special stages, but for general bashing and fun driving, it's a lot more controlable. :y:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.