Keyword

TOPIC:

Tamiya Super Sabre 12 years 8 months ago #2012

Thought you might like some pics of a Tamiya Super Sabre i picked up from flea bay. I purchased this quite a while ago but since i have so many cars i have only recently got around to opening it up and looking at it properly. I paid a ridiculously low price for this as i remember it was advertised very poorly and finished at a stupid time of day and the pictures where not very clear at all.

This couldnt really have gone to a better home as i always loved this car when i was a child but never actually got to own one as my parents (father) always thought they where way too expensive. How wrong can you be :P but at least i can blame him now for my Tamiya obsession :unsure:

It looks like it was only run once or twice as its excellent condition just a few very light scratches underneath. I think i might run this lightly as its too nice to sit on a shelf collecting dust :) i dont think ill change any of the electrics though as i like them original. I might ballrace it though what do you think?? suggestions for any subtle updates are welcomed from members?

The main reason for this post however is the bodyshell. Whoever built this did a sterling job its excellent including the decals. However they have painted it from the inside and the outside for some strange reason :cry: and sadly the exterior paint is cracking and flaking off. The shell itself however is excellent no cracks at all. Does anyone know of a way to strip the paint fully and effectively so i can repaint the original as i have picked up some original new in packet decals. I really love this buggy so would hate to stuff this up. i have heard of brake fluid but am unsure please can anyone offer some fool proof advice.

Thanks and enjoy the pics below :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Tamiya Super Sabre 12 years 8 months ago #2013

... Does anyone know of a way to strip the paint fully and effectively so i can repaint the original as i have picked up some original new in packet decals. I really love this buggy so would hate to stuff this up. i have heard of brake fluid but am unsure please can anyone offer some fool proof advice.

De-Solv-It Graffitti Remover from Screwfix :)
The following user(s) Liked this: tamiya nut

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: Tamiya Super Sabre 12 years 8 months ago #2014

top man thanks ill pick some up this afternoon

Re: Tamiya Super Sabre 12 years 8 months ago #2017

ordered this this afternoon coming in monday. can you give me any advice on use? how do i apply it? how long between coats etc. thanks.

some of the paint has already flaked off when i removed the original decals. i have unearthed one small crack on the whole body. not bad considering its age. its in a none flexible part of the shell around the bottom section of the front windscreen. see attached pic where i have tried to highlight this. any advice for treating this?

regards

Attachments:

Re: Tamiya Super Sabre 12 years 8 months ago #2018

ordered this this afternoon coming in monday. can you give me any advice on use? how do i apply it? how long between coats etc. thanks.

some of the paint has already flaked off when i removed the original decals. i have unearthed one small crack on the whole body. not bad considering its age. its in a none flexible part of the shell around the bottom section of the front windscreen. see attached pic where i have tried to highlight this. any advice for treating this?

regards

ok...

1- wear gloves - this will stop it being absorbed into your skin, and stop fingerprint marks appearing on the shell;

2 - use eye protection - it's a gel, but can still splash;

3- ventilate - it's pretty heady stuff;

4 - protect the area you're working in - it's still basically paint stripper - but don't use newspaper, magazines, etc as the colours will run onto the shell;

5 - decant some of the gel into a smaller container - 1 litre is enough for at least six shells, no point contaminating the whole bottle;

6 - use only very soft tools to apply & remove - the shell will soften & take on marks easily - an old toothbrush is ideal;

7- put on a think coat of the gel, leave five minutes, agitate thoroughly with your toothbrush, leave another 5 minutes, then scrub off all over under running water;

8- repeat step 7 until all the paint is gone - I generally do four cycles, but it depends on the type of paint, how well it's stuck, etc - it's better to do more cycles than increase contact time per cycle;

9 - when as much has come off as is going to, wash the shell thoroughly with Fairy liquid to get the last of the gel off - it also seems to work as a catalyst to start hardening the shell up again;

10 - leave for 24 hours before painting - it generally takes that long for the shell to become properly hard again - smell is a good indicator

re the crack, I'd suggest leaving it alone - after the shell is painted, patch it on the inside with duct/cloth/tank tape, or even better, the reinforced aluminium tape that comes in a Frog kit.

:)
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut, tamiya nut

Re: Tamiya Super Sabre 12 years 8 months ago #2019

thats top advice thank you

Re: Tamiya Super Sabre 12 years 8 months ago #2060

just tried this de-solv-it graffitti remover i have followed your directions and have given it six attempts but it has only removed a small amount of the silver paint? dont seem to be having much luck with it and noticed the shell also has a layer of undercoat underneath :(

i think i might try soaking it over night?

Re: Tamiya Super Sabre 12 years 8 months ago #2062

If paint removal fails, you can paint it on the outside.
I have doen this s couple of times with ok results.

- Sand the body with fine grit paper to remove chips and paint edges.
- Use PS (Polycarbonate Spray) paints first, (colour of choice)
- Finish with TS (Plastic spray) CLEAR on top to get the gloss.

Will work nicely for shelf queens, but you run the risk of the clear cracking if you run it.

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: Tamiya Super Sabre 12 years 8 months ago #2063

cheers lars do you think the brake fluid route is worth trying? overnight say? if not i may go team blue groove way

regards

Re: Tamiya Super Sabre 12 years 8 months ago #2064

I would be careful with brake fluid unless it is the last resort. But, there is the risk of the whitening of the plastic.
Try not to leave it for too long in brake fluid...

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.