Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Tamiya peculiars 12 years 4 months ago #4882

The 1995 Catalogue shows the Pajero MTW in red:

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Tamiya peculiars 12 years 4 months ago #5029

Nobody in the world owns a Tamiya Top Force... 'cause it's actually a Top-Force :

Just like there's the FF01, the FF02 and then... the FF-03.
Sometimes Tamiya thinks it's a pick up truck. Or is it a pick-up truck? :S
Attachments:

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Tamiya peculiars 12 years 4 months ago #5032

Just like there's the FF01, the FF02 and then... the FF-03.

I'd always thought it was the "FF" up until the "FF02" appeared, when it was retrospectively named the "FF01", but no - up until the FF02 appeared, it didn't even have a chassis code ... looking at the Tamiya catalogues & Guide Books I have turned out to be a much bigger undertaking than I'd thought:

1994 Catalogue: first appearance of the chassis later to be known as the "FF01", otherwise as 1995

1995 Catalogue: as 1996

1996 Catalogue: cars labelled with both chassis code & drive layout (e.g. "M-02" "RWD", etc); but for "FF" chassis cars there's no chassis code, just listed as "FWD"

1997 Catalogue: Similar conventions as 1996, still no chassis codes for "FF" cars - but drive layout referred to as both "FF" (Golf VR6, Vectra JTCC, Toyota Tom's Exiv JTCC) and "FWD" (Tom's Levin, Jaccs Civic, Primera JTCC, Volvo 850 BTCC). "2WD" replaces "RWD" (e.g. "M-02" "2WD"). M-01 chassis referred to as "M-01" "FWD".

1998 Catalogue: "FF" (Front engine, Front Wheel Drive) code replaces "FWD" - i.e. "M-01" "FF"; "FF" chassis cars still have no chassis code,

1999 Catalogue: as 1998

1999 Guide Book (UK) (Lars' dating/location): VW New Beetle designated as "FF", Peugeot 306 designated "FF02" on the same page :blink:

2000 Catalogue: "FF01" chassis code finally used - along with the new "FF02" chassis. "FF" drive layout tag retained, e.g. "FF01" "FF", "FF02" "FF".

2001 Catalogue: Chassis type given greater prominence

2001 Guide Book: drive layout codes barely used, cars listed by chassis type (e.g. "FF01", "FFO2).

2002 Catalogue: as 2001, but FF01 chassis does not appear

2003 Catalogue: as 2002

2003 Guide Book: drive layout codes barely used, cars listed by chassis type (e.g. "FFO2), mentions "FF01" as "* No longer in production",

2004 Catalogue: as 2003 Catalogue

2005 Catalogue: no FF02 chassis cars

...So the "FF01" chassis was available from 1994 to 2001, and the FF02 from 1999/2000 to 2004 :)

Re: Tamiya peculiars 12 years 2 weeks ago #8848

Can I have some adjusters please?
Sorry, we only carry adjuters...

Not vintage stuff but definitely a peculiarity. :S
Attachments:

Re: Tamiya peculiars 12 years 2 weeks ago #8860

Here's a good one - when I was doing my Cheetah, I noticed that some of the fastener codes don't match the description or what the exploded view shows being used eg M2 or M3 for fixing the windscreen? & of course the one where they specify M3 screws that aren't metric, whereas everything else is (Similar story with the F2 & all the other old cars using slotted "3mm" screws I'd guess). Talking of the F2, the chassis is marked "Tamiya" on one side - which way up is it supposed to go? I seem to remember the manual telling me to fit it the way-up it doesn't work

Re: Tamiya peculiars 12 years 2 weeks ago #8871

Isn't the ridge that's manufactured into it the biggest clue maybe? :S

Re: Tamiya peculiars 12 years 2 weeks ago #8872

From the 1982 Guide Book:

The Rough Rider is driven by "Rob Mitchel Racing", but notice the decal on the bonnet, it says "Bob Maynard Racing" (which is an actual racing company in the USA)
The 1982 Guide Book image shows evidence of photo editing:
- The Rob Michel Racing's reflection in the orange clearly says "Bob Maynard Racing"
- The lower part of the B in the BMR on the bonnet has been removed to make it an R
Edited version (from 1982 Gb):

Original version of the picture from the 30 year anniversary book:

Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.
Attachments:

Re: Tamiya peculiars 12 years 2 weeks ago #8874

That's some thorough detective work. :lol: :y:

Re: Tamiya peculiars 12 years 2 weeks ago #8877

Edou, re the ridges, yep that's what I thought. The other clue is the drillings for the motor pod (They're offset slightly).
Well spotted Lars!

Re: Tamiya peculiars 12 years 1 week ago #8900

Lars, I would like to nominate you for a Tamiyabase award for finding that incredible Rough Rider goof! :)
If only we could find a rare, early Bob Maynard decal set too. Do any exist?

Also, I will need to go looking in my catalogues, but I remember seeing a buggy with badly peeling decals in one pic. Could have been the Madcap...

H.
www.rctoymemories.com - A nostalgia site about vintage and retro radio controlled cars & other toys, from Tamiya, Nikko, Kyosho, Radio Shack and many more.

Last edit: by Hibernaculum.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.