Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Vintage Tamiya Monster Truck... What is it 12 years 4 months ago #5106

Hello everyone, came across a deal on 3 tamiya super shots and 1 tamiya truck that I can't figure out what it is.

The truck has a 4wd chassis very similar to the super shot. Engine is rear mount instead of mid mount. Double a-arm suspension looks to be the same as the supershot. Even though chassis is 4wd there are no gears or outputs in the front transfer case. Owner swears it came out of the box as a 2wd vehicle. Front and rear tires use a single pin to hold the tires on rather than the adapter plates.

Anybody have any idea what it might be? I will post some pics in the next day or 2 when I get a chance.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Vintage Tamiya Monster Truck... What is it 12 years 4 months ago #5109

You got me quite curious. Don't know the answer (yet) to the question posed.
So I'll take the opportunity to say... welcome on the forum! :)
Hope to see the pics soon. Very intriguing.

Re: Vintage Tamiya Monster Truck... What is it 12 years 4 months ago #5111

Here are some pics.

First is the center chassis.

Then the gear boxes then the front & rear arms along with the shock towers.

Also a pic of each side of the tires that are on it.

Last is the front axles. These look to be are this way.

I forgot to mention that the truck is 4 wheel steering also.

Re: Vintage Tamiya Monster Truck... What is it 12 years 4 months ago #5120

Can't help you on all your points - but I am certain that car did not come out of the box like that ... I can't really imagine why someone would want to turn something from the "Shot" family into a RWD monster truck though.

Front axles look very much like Tamiya parts - the FF01 chassis uses them on the undriven rear, pretty sure all the various M-chassis cars use them on whichever end doesn't have any power going to it.

No idea who made the wheels, but not having a wheel adapator & running it straight on pins is something I've seen from several manufacturers - Associated, Losi, Mardave all come instantly to mind.

:)

Re: Vintage Tamiya Monster Truck... What is it 12 years 4 months ago #5126

What you have is a "Royal Ripper", a HotShot copy.
The chassis, suspension and gearboxes are from this, the rest are parts added to make it a Monster Truck (big wheels and body mounts)

EDIT: No its not, see below... :blush:

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.
Attachments:

Last edit: by larbut.

Re: Vintage Tamiya Monster Truck... What is it 12 years 4 months ago #5129

Solved the mystery.

It is a Royal Crusher. It came of of the box as a 2wd monster truck and there was av4wd upgrade kit that could be purchased.

Re: Vintage Tamiya Monster Truck... What is it 12 years 4 months ago #5133

quite an interesting find. I just googled it and found quite a few pics. Here is a link with nice pics, and info:
tamiyaclub.com/...1529&id=37

Re: Vintage Tamiya Monster Truck... What is it 12 years 4 months ago #5135

Yes, of course, it's a Royal Crusher!
At least I got the make right :unsure:

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: Vintage Tamiya Monster Truck... What is it 12 years 4 months ago #5142

@Lars : close enough - about a few miles more than anything I could come up with. :silly:

Re: Vintage Tamiya Monster Truck... What is it 12 years 4 months ago #5151

Intriguing ...

Love the name "Ripper" - sounds like a fart to me :D - and the boxart: looks like someone fitted the front left wishbones on backwards & short wishbones/oversize wheel & tyre on the right rear :D

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.