Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: 58522 Dune Buggy Street 12 years 4 months ago #5810

...please hold back on the ugly stick. I think it actually looks pretty good ...

No problem. Absolutely _no_ ugly sticks in _this_ photo:

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: 58522 Dune Buggy Street 12 years 4 months ago #5812

Cool, hose it off and good to go. :side:

Re: 58522 Dune Buggy Street 12 years 4 months ago #5826

Ha ha "Death rover"! Fantastic - hurt myself on the way to the floor off the chair & I fear I may have wet myself! Seriously though, I HAVE to have a set of those wheels & I actually quite like the look of the new buggy, but like you say, it isn't exciting enough to make me go & pay 30,0000 quid (Or what ever the price tag is) for a new one. As far as "Not different enough" goes, isn't it the same scenario as putting a beetle or truck body on a Rough Rider, & don't we love those? OR putting steet wheels/tyres on the Mu for a Mu type X? You could even get really radical & put a car body & street wheels on a frog & call it a rally car....

Re: 58522 Dune Buggy Street 12 years 4 months ago #5827

Here's a good project for someone - those wheels on an SRB, with Kamtec's "Street Beetle" shell, some chrome & a 'Flip' paint job & TADAAA!

Re: 58522 Dune Buggy Street 12 years 4 months ago #5842

Love to see that one. :cheer:
Really gotta get me some of them wheels in any case...

Re: 58522 Dune Buggy Street 12 years 4 months ago #5844

Me too! In fact, the more I look at that car, the more I like it. I confess I've been thinking about having the new holiday buggy/sand rover, but I think if I'm gonna do it, it'll have to be this version!

Re: 58522 Dune Buggy Street 12 years 1 month ago #8297

Anyone notice this in the standard Tamiya spiel for the Street Rover?

Tech Note:
The Tamiya Sand Rover is designed for the novice builder and driver. The front wheels are oversized for stability and easy driving. Make sure to turn down the transmitters steering "dual rate" to ensure maximum lock is not possible. Maximum "dual rate" will cause the steering linkage to touch the inside front wheel. By turning down the transmitters "dual rate" you will insure the steering linkage will not touch the front inside wheel no matter how much steering input is given while driving.

The cheapest radio I could find with thant function was 70 GBP ... does anyone else think it's pretty poor that Tamiya seem to be aiming this as a starter car, but because they put oversize front wheels on it & couldn't be arsed to correct the problems that brings, they require you to spend twice as much as entry level on radio gear?

This on top of an average 20 GBP extra on the Sand Rover price because it's prepainted? I mean, if I was going to paint a shell properly it probably would cost 20 in primer, paint & clearcoat - but I don't believe for a second that it costs Tamiya just as much to do it in volume :angry:

Re: 58522 Dune Buggy Street 12 years 1 month ago #8298

I agree, seems like a weird additional note. Guess you don't get a fully functional car for your money... :S

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: 58522 Dune Buggy Street 12 years 1 month ago #8303

In my experience, if you follow Tamiya's instructions for setting up steering linkages, they never work out right. Best to set them up without reference to the words & pictures. The other way to get around the excessive steering is to use the inner set of holes on the servo saver, but like you say, how would a novice know that

Re: 58522 Dune Buggy Street 12 years 1 month ago #8327

The major draw to Tamiya RC for me was the Realism. I could deal with the spacy looking buggies and such that they would produce here and there because they handled the rough stuff so well. The hobby also has to attract the young un's.
I accept that every car could not be as true to life as a 3 spd. or a Sand Scorcher.

That said, I always thought the chassis of the original rover needed some help. However the body of Rover 1 was a "Show Stopper" (Anybody remember Rachel Welch?). They were both popular around the same time.
My point is they had the chance to get it right here. Instead they sold out.
There was a 1:1 rover that Tamiya miniaturized. It didn't have holes in the hood. It was built on a VW chassis. The shocks fit under the fenders.
Re-re's have cut the collecting value of the Original's off at the knees.
I could remember paying as much as $100 US for a Hot Shot front bumper if I could find one.
I had to develop a business plan just to acquire a NIB Sand Rover in the late 90's.
Many re-re's do justice to there predecessors (Hotshot, Super shot, Sand Scorcher, ect...).
Sorry fellas, Tamiya missed the boat on this one.
I have a really shoddy example of Rover 1 I found on the Bay.
Paid about $100+ shipping years ago. When I opened the box I was upset. It looked like it was from the bottom of the Bay.
I wrote the prior owner and informed him of my disappointment. (Nicely).
After that I placed it in the parts pile and considered it an Ebay lesson.
Hopefully the seller used the funds to attain some spectacles to aid him with his "Descriptions".
But this rant is over. A new perspective has been taken.

I announce I shall take the the two wrongs done and turn them into a right.
Motivated by the mutilations done to Re-Re Rover and the cost overruns of Ebay Rover 1.
I will take my left for dead Rover and create Re-Do Rover.
It shall be built of all Tamiya parts, after market parts designed for Tamiya and self fabricated bits as needed.
The goal is to have the finished product to be recognizable to the 1:1 owner and Tamyia fan both.
It must also out perform either version released by Tamiya.
I will document the project on this site.
Suggestions and comments welcome.
I need a foamy beverage...

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.