Keyword

TOPIC:

Avante 2001 10 years 11 months ago #21656

Argh!.. I think the motor is finally falling apart so it's a good job I have a used Technigold coming soon.

Aside from the motor physically coming apart I've had this problem where the pinion gear slips from the motor axle and I'm not sure why. I've tightened the grub screw as much as possible but after a couple of minutes of use the gear is loose again. Maybe I need a replacement grub and pinion on top of the 'new' motor.

It also seems misaligned to the next gear.

J

Grub looks shot. ;)
Can't you put the pinion further on the motor axle to get it aligned?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Edou.

Avante 2001 10 years 11 months ago #21658

Grub looks shot. ;)
Can't you put the pinion further on the motor axle to get it aligned?

The axle doesn't seem long enough, the grub doesn't catch the axle when the pinion is in the correct place. The axle also moves back and forth which I assume I wrong.

J

Avante 2001 10 years 11 months ago #21660

Some movement of the axle is not unusual. ;)
I don't see the cause of the issue... is this dimension 13mm?

Pinion for this car is a very regular one so that can't be causing anything.
How many teeth does it have though?
Attachments:

Avante 2001 10 years 11 months ago #21661

Also, the motor axle should have a flat side on which you can more easily tighten the grub screw...

Avante 2001 10 years 11 months ago #21673

Also, the motor axle should have a flat side on which you can more easily tighten the grub screw...

Yeah I see that. I don't have an accurate measuring device but the motor shaft is at least 1mm shorter than the width of the pinion. Even with the pinion butted up against the motor with no gap as in your attached image.

The pinion has 20 teeth. Will have to wait for the new motor to see if it's still a problem but I'll get some new grubs too.

I've also noticed one of the screws holding the motor to the plate is shredded :(

J

Avante 2001 10 years 11 months ago #21675

And... another silly question. As I have to replace shredded screws is there any mileage in titanium versions or not? Less prone to shredding?

Thanks

J

Avante 2001 10 years 11 months ago #21677

Titanium screws are cool (and lightweigth) but they're expensive and damage just as easily...
Best thing you can really do for mileage on your screws is get a perfectly matching screwdriver.

:y:

Avante 2001 10 years 11 months ago #21837

Tiny update. Got some replacement screws today and went for the titanium versions :) Also:
  • A new set of allen keys
  • A decent phillips 2 screwdriver
  • And a shiny new undercowl
I did manage to tighten the pinion enough for a 5 minute run outside without it coming undone but a bit disappointed the Technigold hasn't arrived yet :(

Also, original Avante 2001 wheels and body are proving hard to come by.

Attachments:

Avante 2001 10 years 11 months ago #21838

Nice project the biggest shock i got with my 2001 was the price of new decals

Avante 2001 10 years 11 months ago #21841

:y:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.