Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Ken's Grasshopper 12 years 8 months ago #2285

This is the (re-re) Grasshopper I promised to build in part payment for my Sand Rover :)

The first Tamiya I built was a Grasshopper, so this takes me back ...

Ignoring the manual, I started on the wheels & driver ...

Really bad matching of the parts though :(

So I'm going to cheat & swap with some from my spares box, after I've given them a bit of a tidy up ...

I'm donating a set of bearings (yes, there should be 9 1150's there) - I can't bear to build a car without them... 540 is a bad idea without suspension upgrades though ...

Had enough for the day ...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Ken's Grasshopper 12 years 8 months ago #2291

Jonny,
You always need a Hooper to muck about with B)
Will this be staying boxart or will it be getting one of your great paint jobs?

GING

Re: Ken's Grasshopper 12 years 8 months ago #2300

Jonny,
You always need a Hooper to muck about with B)
Will this be staying boxart or will it be getting one of your great paint jobs?

GING

As I'm building it for a colleague it'll be strictly boxart ... although the driver's helmet is X-14 Sky Blue instead of X-4 Blue ;) ... white has to be my least favourite of all colours to paint :( ... anyway, there is a tiny bit of sunshine, so I'm off to get a bit of primer on before the GP qualifying :D

Re: Ken's Grasshopper 12 years 8 months ago #2302

Seems to be another "fast forward" build ;) ...

After giving the sink a good scrubbing, I washed & rubbed down the body with used 1200 grit paper; this is a "before" shot - note the heavy water beading:

.. and after keying:

This is after spraying Hycote white Plastic Primer ... doesn't really look that different :whistle: ...

... not even in close up ...

... this is it after rubbing the primer down (wet, with used 1200 grit paper):

... the deatil pic doesn't look that different, but it's visibly more smooth ...

Chassis is pretty much finished:

...as is the tyre lettering ... TBH I always struggle on tyres with smaller lettering like this, I think this is one of my better jobs:

Anyway, the weather is still holding, so I'm off to get some "colour" on it :silly:

Re: Ken's Grasshopper 12 years 8 months ago #2308

Gotta love the special attention you always give a paint job. B)

Re: Ken's Grasshopper 12 years 8 months ago #2311

I've come a long way - I didn't even paint my first Grasshopper back in 1984 :silly:

Re: Ken's Grasshopper 12 years 8 months ago #2312

I've come a long way - I didn't even paint my first Grasshopper back in 1984 :silly:

I dont think anyone did, just to excited to get it blasting, even the decals where thrown on :woohoo:

GING

Re: Ken's Grasshopper 12 years 8 months ago #2330

Paint has turned out a bit disappointing ... it was nice & shiny when I left it yesterday & I was quite proud of it - any even shiny finish without runs - which is quite hard to do - the temptation with white is to spray _just one more puff_ ... and "faloop", you get a huge run .. but I didn't :(

Overnight though it turned a satin finish - which has happened pretty much every time I've used Humbrol "Hobby Spray" acrylic, so I don't think it's me, or the weather causing bloom ...

On to the decals - this set had been cut a long way out of register, so much so that I had to take between 0.5 and 2mm off one side off each piece before using them, or have awkward extra bits of clear to deal with . The decal sheet on my own re-re, and the spare set I have are much better ... I can only assume it was a Friday afternoon in QA when this kit went through :whistle:

After leaving the decals to dry & having smoothed them a few times, I thought I was safe to put the clearcoat on ... but about 5 minutes after I finished, the heavens opened ... it wasn't _quite_ a monsoon, but put it this way, 1:1 cars going past in the road outside were all leaving wakes ...

I haven't dared check how bad the bloom is yet ...

Edit - I removed the driver before clearcoating, painting the roll cage will happen after the clearcoat has hardened off & I can use liquid mask on it :)

edit edit - I should have used a bigger bowl -there's not "mushroom" in that one :silly:
Attachments:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: Ken's Grasshopper 12 years 8 months ago #2333

Funnily i have never owned a grasshopper? strange really as it such an affordable kit may put this on my shopping list soon. i enjoy the building process of my cars and this looks like such a quick build that i have not really considered it in the past. it seems to have so few parts. yours looks fantastic and has changed my opinion slightly.

Last edit: by tamiya nut.

Re: Ken's Grasshopper 12 years 8 months ago #2334

Funnily i have never owned a grasshopper? strange really as it such an affordable kit may put this on my shopping list soon. i enjoy the building process of my cars and this looks like such a quick build that i have not really considered it in the past. it seems to have so few parts. yours looks fantastic and has changed my opinion slightly.

But you should try driving one - that'd change your opinion right back again :D

It's ok with the stock 380 motor in, but with a 540 motor, it's fun on smooth surfaces - not just tarmac, but sand, gravel & dirt - but show it some bumps & the shortcomings of the chassis become very apparent - ludicrous bump steer & pogoing rear end ... but it's the same for all of the "rolling rear axle" cars - the damping improves things a little on the Hornet/Super Hornet, the Pumpkin & Lunchbox get away with it because they're fun & they wheelie, as does the 1st gen Pajero ...

... but on the other hand, who buys a Tamiya RC for the handling? ;)

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.295 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.