Keyword

TOPIC:

My new Tamiya Hotshot 12 years 3 months ago #5723

• jdawg
  • jdawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
When I first found out that Tamiya had re-released the Hotshot I thought I remembered seeing one as a kid. I'm pretty sure my uncle had one. Then I walked into a hobby store and saw it up there on the shelf and I thought I had to get one for myself one day. So finally I got one and built it over the Christmas holidays. I haven't built a kit in over 10 years because it seems most kits from HPI or Traxxas come ready to run. I really enjoyed building it so I just wanted to share some pics I took during the build.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by jdawg.

Re: My new Tamiya Hotshot 12 years 3 months ago #5725

Nice dude, really always wanted one of those, even a re-release. Nice job on the driver.

Re: My new Tamiya Hotshot 12 years 3 months ago #5732

Very nice build and some great pics! Man, it's shiny! B)
Gotta love the Hotshot. Epic car.

Re: My new Tamiya Hotshot 12 years 3 months ago #5787

They were even more awesome when they first came out cos there was nothing else like it at the time. I inherited mine from the local model shop owner - it was one of the pre-release ones that Tamiya used to send to a select few to try out before putting on general release. V rare, wish I'd kept it....

Re: My new Tamiya Hotshot 12 years 3 months ago #5797

Nice one :D :L

I found the Hotshot an involving (& therefore, fun) build ... but have only used it twice in over two years :S

Re: My new Tamiya Hotshot 12 years 3 months ago #5817

• jdawg
  • jdawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
It really was fun to build and it took a bit longer than I thought it would take to finish it. I think its a really nice looking buggy and shiny too lol. It looks too shiny and new that I don't even want to drive it. I even bought a Duratrax Element 3900kv brushless motor to put in it because the stock motor seems a bit slow. I'm sure back when this first came out everyone must have thought it was really fast. I still think even after all these years that this is still one of the nicest looking buggies around. It has a unique look to it that no other buggy has. I think all the modern buggies out now all kinda look the same. I just saw somewhere that Tamiya is going to re-release their Super Hotshot so if that's true I might have to get that too!

Re: My new Tamiya Hotshot 12 years 3 months ago #5824

When they first came out, yeah they were slower than the 2wd buggies, but it didn't matter cos they more than made up for it in the grip/handling department, which was winning the races for them. The only thing that stopped me buying a new one (Back in the day) was the lack of space for a MSC, & in those days ESCs were hugely expensive. I'm not 100% sure if it was the first kit to have one, but it was the first car I ever saw with the special "BEC" Rx switch (Guess this was cos there's no room for the Rx batteries that were commonplace at the time)

Re: My new Tamiya Hotshot 12 years 3 months ago #5853

The only thing that stopped me buying a new one (Back in the day) was the lack of space for a MSC, & in those days ESCs were hugely expensive. I'm not 100% sure if it was the first kit to have one, but it was the first car I ever saw with the special "BEC" Rx switch (Guess this was cos there's no room for the Rx batteries that were commonplace at the time)

I'm not sure I'm following you here, Eddrick.... It did come with a MSC, so there's obviously enough space for it. But maybe you are talking about special "racing" MSC's?

Tom

Re: My new Tamiya Hotshot 12 years 3 months ago #5908

I'm racking my brain trying to remember now... As I said earlier, mine was one of the pre-release ones that I inherited from the model shop owner, & it never had an MSC & I'm sure he said it was because there was no space for a servo to operate it, (Or an Rx battery pack) which was why he fitted it with an ESC from the start.... I never had a manual with it, so I never questioned what he was telling me, but yes, if you say they're supposed to have one, I'll go with that!

Re: My new Tamiya Hotshot 12 years 3 months ago #5914

Not an MSC like I know it but a switch plate. :huh:

Attachments:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.