Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Low rider willy 9 years 7 months ago #31284

• nodtec
  • nodtec's Avatar Topic Author
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
I'm building a low rider WW1 and need a battery to fit it. It has to fit in box 45 x 40 x 60 and run a 3000kv/45a brushles set up. Being an old git, I know nothing about thes brushless set ups. Can I run it on 6 pack battery, or do I need a lipo?
I can make up a battery to fit using loose c cells if they're ok.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Low rider willy 9 years 7 months ago #31287

You don't _need_ lipo to run brushless, it just makes them go faster :D

From those dimensions (45 x 40 x 60) I can only conclude you're a) trying to fit the main drive battery where the 4xAA RX batteries used to go, or b) your measurements are wrong.

I'm pretty you won't get a 2S Lipo battery that small (www.hobbyking.c...ration.asp), you certainly won't get 6 sub-C size cells in there :blink:

Low rider willy 9 years 7 months ago #31298

• nodtec
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
The battery will go in where the original speed controller/reciever/steering servos go. The section where the 4 aa's go is now gone. I'll try and get photo's. The dimensions are right, that's the room I have left after fitting reciever and steering servo. :)

Low rider willy 9 years 7 months ago #31301

• nodtec
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
I'm pretty you won't get a 2S Lipo battery that small (www.hobbyking.c...ration.asp), you certainly won't get 6 sub-C size cells in there

You're right, I searched their site and after getting totally confused I think I'll go back to plan A. I suppose it's the 'you can't teach an old dog new tricks' bit, I just can't get my head around all the jargon they use. I'm too old and my brain wore out and stopped about 15 years ago.

www.hobbyking.c...duct=11612

OK, not that this'll fit but I'll use it as example.
Right, so it's 4000mAh, that's it's storage capacity? Sort of amount of fuel in tank?
3s means it's got 3 cells, but 11.1v's? Isn't that too much?
What's the 20c mean? Is that maximum amps draw? 20a doesn't sound right....does it?

Low rider willy 9 years 7 months ago #31302

6x AA cells then? The voltage would be right but you'd be lacking in capacity & current delivery by modern standards ...

Another possibility comes to mind - e-cigarette batteries are about the same diameter as an AA cell (but longer), capacities are up to 1100mAh & the voltage suggests it's a 1S lithium cell of some kind in there, might be a direction to look at anyway.

:)

Low rider willy 9 years 7 months ago #31304

You're right, I searched their site and after getting totally confused I think I'll go back to plan A. I suppose it's the 'you can't teach an old dog new tricks' bit, I just can't get my head around all the jargon they use. I'm too old and my brain wore out and stopped about 15 years ago.

www.hobbyking.c...duct=11612

OK, not that this'll fit but I'll use it as example.
Right, so it's 4000mAh, that's it's storage capacity? Sort of amount of fuel in tank?
3s means it's got 3 cells, but 11.1v's? Isn't that too much?
What's the 20c mean? Is that maximum amps draw? 20a doesn't sound right....does it?

mAh you're correct on :y:

"S" , again :y: 3S is too much, you need to look for 2S packs (Lipo cells are nominally 3.7v each). Some ESCs & motors will run on 3S, but I'm guessing warp speed potential is not going to be on your wishlist for this build ;)

"C" is maximum theoretical discharge rate, capacity X C = amps, so 4 X 20 = 80A :blink: But that's not a continuous rating, buried in the small print (if you can find it) that'll be a measurement at a specific temperature over a specific (very short) time & a degree of swelling (like 10%) that would not be acceptable in the real world ... still, a 30C rated pack is theoretically better than a 20C pack.

:)

Low rider willy 9 years 7 months ago #31307

I'm building a low rider WW1

A Willy wheeler with the Jeep body or a lowered Willy wheeler? What kind of wheels do you think to use on the WW1 chassis there is not much that will fit.

Last edit: by waterbok.

Low rider willy 9 years 7 months ago #31308

• nodtec
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
WB, It'll be WW1 m38 body, it's one I got on eBay, a bit tatty but I'm doing it as an 'old' racer, worn out paint, dents etc. I have a set of Wheeler wheels for it, don't know if I'll use the Wheeler tyres or make some foams for it, that's a bit further down the track.

JR, thanks for the info, so the 'c' rating isn't overly important, in this case anyway?

here's a sort of 2 min mock up, not the actual chassis, it's being modified in my secret laboratoy :evil:

With the c cells (these are old crap ones) in this way, they're about 1.5-2.0mm to high. Brushless motor almost fits straight in, needs work. ESC will be in 'fuel cell'
Attachments:

Low rider willy 9 years 7 months ago #31310

• nodtec
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
I've worked out I need 4/5 sub c cells to fit them in. The highest capacity I can find is 1600mAh, is this enough to work the brushless motor or am I wasting time with the Brushless set up on this power supply? I have either a black motor endurance or sprint ones that I could use.

update:

Strange thing, I searched ebay and only found 1600mHa ones listed, so I googled the same request and came up with 2500mHa ones........listed on ebay. :huh:
They're probably rubbish but will suffice for testing, I'm only get the 6 I need at this time, see if it works.

www.ebay.com.au...1423.l2649

Last edit: by nodtec. Reason: updating info

Low rider willy 9 years 7 months ago #31316

• nodtec
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Did a bit of a mock up to see how things will fit. Body will need trim to clear motor mount.

You can see height difference when compared

Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.